Capacitor Question: Voltage & Limiting Voltage

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, in this conversation, a question was posed about the voltage across a capacitor as t approaches infinity and when it reaches 60% of its limiting voltage. The student considered the equations for charge and voltage and determined that the voltage across the capacitor would be equal to the emf of the battery at infinity. They also discussed how the statement Vr + Vc =/I could be used to determine the values of R and C needed to find the 60% voltage level.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

A circuit is connected to charge a capacitor. The switch in the circuit is initially open, then closed at t = 0.

As t --> infinity, what is the voltage across the capacitor?

When does it reach 60 % of this limiting voltage?

Homework Equations

Not sure - maybe q = qf (1-e-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think as t --> infinity, the voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the emf of the battery.

But I don't know what limiting voltage is, or how you find it. The only equation I could find involving time is the one above, but I'm not sure if or how that applies to this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:
I think as t --> infinity, the voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the emf of the battery.

Correct. When t ⇒ ∞ you have 1 - 1/e = 1 - 0 = 1*Qo

When the charge on the capacitor approaches fully charged there's no charge flowing right? (dQ/dt ⇒ 0)

So what does that mean for the voltage drop across the resistor R of the RC? Since V of the emf is VR + VC then ...

As to the time that needs to be used to determine the 60% level. (The "When" part of the second question.)

So there's no charge flowing because dQ isn't changing (it can't get any bigger than Qo), is that correct?

If there's no current flowing, then voltage is zero too because V = IR?

I'm confused about the statement Vr + Vc =/

I think I might just have figured it out. If I use the formula

Q = CV, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, C is capacitance and V is voltage.

60 % of the voltage occurs when there is 60 % of the Qo, since C is a constant for any capacitor.

Then I would use the formula 0.60q = q(1-e-t/RC) and solve for t.

Hm... except I just realized I don't know the values of R or C.

jumbogala said:
So there's no charge flowing because dQ isn't changing (it can't get any bigger than Qo), is that correct?

If there's no current flowing, then voltage is zero too because V = IR?

I'm confused about the statement Vr + Vc =/

The voltage across your emf is the sum of the voltages across the R and the C. They are in series right? So that makes a Voltage loop that must be satisfied. If the Voltage of the R ⇒ 0 then that means that the Voltage of the Capacitor must be the emf Voltage.

jumbogala said:
I think I might just have figured it out. If I use the formula

Q = CV, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, C is capacitance and V is voltage.

60 % of the voltage occurs when there is 60 % of the Qo, since C is a constant for any capacitor.

Then I would use the formula 0.60q = q(1-e-t/RC) and solve for t.

Hm... except I just realized I don't know the values of R or C.

Yes that's correct.

You can give your answer in terms of RC. At what value of RC does the equation yield 60% voltage is what they are asking.

Oh okay, that makes sense.

Thank you!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by accumulating and storing electric charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates that stores the energy.

3. What is the voltage rating of a capacitor?

The voltage rating of a capacitor refers to the maximum voltage that can be safely applied to it without causing damage. Exceeding this voltage can result in the breakdown of the dielectric material and permanent damage to the capacitor.

4. What is the limiting voltage of a capacitor?

The limiting voltage of a capacitor is the maximum voltage that can be applied to it before it reaches its breakdown voltage and can no longer hold a charge. This is also referred to as the breakdown voltage or dielectric strength.

5. How is the limiting voltage determined for a capacitor?

The limiting voltage of a capacitor is determined by the type and thickness of the dielectric material used, as well as the distance between the plates. The manufacturer of the capacitor will test and specify the limiting voltage for each capacitor they produce.