What are the different methods to measure the resistance of a capacitor?

In summary: Now, if we take the derivative with respect to time we get∂I/∂t = -iE/σThis is the equation that describes the current through an infinite resistor and it's known as Ohm's law.
Razvan

Homework Statement

I was told that I can measure the "resistance" of a capacitor using 3 methods:
1. "The direct method"
[tex]R = \int_1^2 \frac{\rho}{A} ds[/tex]

2. "Ohm's Law"

[tex]R=\frac{U}{I}[/tex]
[tex]U=\int_1^2 E ds[/tex]
[tex]E=\rho J = \frac{\rho i}{A}[/tex]

3. "The analogy between electrostatics and electrokinetics"
[itex]\epsilon[/itex] is replaced by [itex]\sigma[/itex]
and
[itex]C[/itex] is replaced by [itex]G[/itex]

Homework Equations

What does this really mean, the resistance of the capacitor?
Why is [itex]E=\rho J[/itex]?
What is this analogy between electrostatics and electrokinetics?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It means exactly what it says... probably the easiest way to view it is to look at the Ohm's law approach.

An ideal capacitor has infinite DC resistance ... when an ideal DC voltage source is connected via ideal conducting wires, the charge flows from one plate to the other in zero time giving rise to an infinite current.

This does not happen in real life though.
IRL it takes a finite amount of time for the charges to transfer ...

You should be able to derive that equation ... do you know what the letters stand for?

The analogy in question is just a handy way of getting electrokinetic equations from the static ones.
Most people can remember the electrostatics.

There is series resistance Rs and there is parallel reistance Rp. The former is usually << 1 ohm, the latter >> 1 megohm for say a C = 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor. So we can say that if we apply a voltage V across C then I = V/Rp after a very short time of say 10 Rs*C time constants, maybe 0.1 μs.

The electric field inside the capcitive part of C depends on how it's fabricated. In all cases, ∫Edl = V = Q/C with Q the charge and C the capacitance. Inside Rp we have E = i/σ where i is current density and σ = conductivity of the resistive material for Rp.

1. What is the relationship between capacitance and resistance?

The relationship between capacitance and resistance is that they are inversely proportional. This means that as capacitance increases, resistance decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be mathematically represented by the formula R = 1/C, where R is resistance and C is capacitance.

2. How does capacitor resistance affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

Capacitor resistance affects the charging and discharging of a capacitor by determining the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. A higher resistance will result in a slower charging and discharging process, while a lower resistance will result in a faster process.

3. What is the impact of temperature on capacitor resistance?

The impact of temperature on capacitor resistance depends on the type of capacitor. For ceramic capacitors, resistance typically decreases as temperature increases, while for electrolytic capacitors, resistance increases with temperature. This is due to the different materials and construction of these two types of capacitors.

4. Can capacitor resistance be measured directly?

No, capacitor resistance cannot be measured directly. Capacitors are not designed to have a specific resistance value, and their resistance can vary depending on factors such as temperature and frequency. To measure capacitor resistance, one must use an ohmmeter and take into account the other factors that may affect the measurement.

5. How does frequency affect capacitor resistance?

Frequency has a significant impact on capacitor resistance. As the frequency increases, the reactance of the capacitor decreases, resulting in a decrease in resistance. This relationship is described by the formula Xc = 1/(2πfC), where Xc is the capacitive reactance, f is the frequency, and C is the capacitance.