Capacitor Selection - Suggestions for 100kHz Low ESR Decoupling

• Thread starter deen25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary: You might also want to check out the TE Connectivity website. They have a wide selection of capacitors and have a good reputation. -Lastly, there are numerous online forums where people discuss specific capacitor selections for power supplies.
deen25
capacitor selection...

Hey,

I'm having a bit of trouble selecting a capacitor and I just want to know if anyones got any suggestions ?...

I need a capacitor for decoupling...that would be suitable at 100kHz switching frequency..withstanding a current ripple of about 1A with a low ESR...this is required for decoupling. The circuit is supplied with 10V dc producing an output current of 50A.

has anyone got any suggestions or specifications you have already worked with ?cheers!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

deen25 said:
Hey,

I'm having a bit of trouble selecting a capacitor and I just want to know if anyones got any suggestions ?...

I need a capacitor for decoupling...that would be suitable at 100kHz switching frequency..withstanding a current ripple of about 1A with a low ESR...this is required for decoupling. The circuit is supplied with 10V dc producing an output current of 50A.

has anyone got any suggestions or specifications you have already worked with ?

cheers!

If it's supplied with 10Vdc, why is there ripple current? Is this part of your synchronous Buck DC-DC circuit? Can you show us the schematic for the application of this capacitor -- that would help us help you understand your choices.

hey...

I just drew this simple schematic now. It somewhat shows what the entire cct will look like..

hope this helps...

cheers!

Attachments

• new_diag.JPG
    new_diag.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 534

deen25 said:
hey...

I just drew this simple schematic now. It somewhat shows what the entire cct will look like..

hope this helps...

cheers!

What kind of capacitor options have you looked at so far? Why were you not happy with them? Tell us what work you have done in selecting this capacitor, other than just asking us about it.

Berkeman, ANY decoupling capacitor will have ripple current. If it doesn't have ripple current then it doesn't need to be there.
-
I believe the main thing you are looking for would be a low ESR/ESL cap. Grab a DigiKey catalog or go to the web-site. I believe they have selections for capacitors used specifically in switch mode power supplies.

1. What is the purpose of using a capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling?

The purpose of using a capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling is to provide a stable and noise-free power supply for electronic components. It helps to filter out high frequency noise and prevent voltage fluctuations that can affect the performance of the circuit.

2. How do I choose the right capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling?

When selecting a capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling, it is important to consider its capacitance value, voltage rating, and ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) value. A higher capacitance value and lower ESR value are generally preferred for better decoupling performance.

3. Can I use any type of capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling?

No, not all capacitors are suitable for 100kHz low ESR decoupling. Ceramic, film, and tantalum capacitors are commonly used for this purpose due to their low ESR and high frequency response. It is important to choose a capacitor with low ESR specifically designed for decoupling applications.

4. What are the potential consequences of using the wrong capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling?

Using the wrong capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling can result in poor decoupling performance, leading to potential noise issues and unstable power supply for electronic components. It can also cause voltage fluctuations that can affect the overall performance and reliability of the circuit.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when selecting a capacitor for 100kHz low ESR decoupling?

Apart from the basic specifications, it is also important to consider the size, temperature stability, and cost of the capacitor. A larger capacitor may have lower ESR and better decoupling performance, but it may also take up more space on the circuit board. Additionally, the temperature and cost of the capacitor should also be taken into account to ensure its suitability for the specific application.