Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor Voltage Draw

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    If I am charging a super capacitor with buck converter, that is a 1 amp, 1-18 volt output, and the capacitor is rated for 2.5 volts, how do I stop the buck converter from feeding it more than 2.5 volts? When I attach the capacitor to my digital power supply, it starts charging, and the voltage slowly increase to be more than 2.5 volts, at which point I turn it off. I was wondering will it draw more than 2.5 volts from my buck converter? If so how do I stop it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you say more about the application? Can you post a link to the Buck converter you are using? :smile:

4. Jan 27, 2016 #3
  5. Jan 27, 2016 #4
    Wait, is that an adjustable output voltage, because the pot looking thing with the screw looks like it would be adjustable? If they are adjustable, then problem solved.

6. Jan 27, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is probably how it works. It should say on the datasheet or application note.

7. Jan 27, 2016 #6
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook