Calculating Peak Capacitor Voltage Across a Half-Wave Rectified AC

In summary, the peak voltage across a capacitor when charged by 1/2 wave rectified AC is Vc=Vs(1-e-t/RC) where:Vc=Capacitor voltage, Vs=Source Voltage,t=time RC = the capacitor time constant.
p75213
Hi,
I am trying to figure out the peak voltage across a capacitor when charged by 1/2 wave rectified AC. The formula for instantaneous voltage is : Vc=Vs(1-e-t/RC) where:
Vc=Capacitor voltage,
Vs=Source Voltage,
t=time
RC = the capacitor time constant

So I thought I could integrate with respect to t that formula from t=0 to t=1/4 of the period of the AC cycle. Something like this:
∫VpSin(ωt)(1-e-t/RC)dt where:
Vp=Peak Voltage

However that can't be correct as I got some ridiculous answer when I used an online integral calculator to do the work.

Engineering news on Phys.org
p75213 said:
The formula for instantaneous voltage is : Vc=Vs(1-e-t/RC) where:
Vc=Capacitor voltage,
Vs=Source Voltage,
t=time
This assumes a constant source voltage.

What is the time-derivative of Vc?
p75213 said:
So I thought I could integrate with respect to t that formula from t=0 to t=1/4 of the period of the AC cycle.
Be careful with the time of maximal Vc.

mfb said:
This assumes a constant source voltage.

What is the time-derivative of Vc?
Be careful with the time of maximal Vc.

dVc/dt = VpSin(ωt)*1/RC*e-t/RC+(1-e-t/RC)*Vp*ω*Cos(ωt)

Don't ask me to plug values into that or graph it. I've already tried and can't get anything to either calculate a result or graph it.

p75213 said:
Are you involving the time constant of the capacitor's charging path, or the capacitor's discharging path? The two are independent.

The fact that you seem to believe you need maths tells me you aren't yet understanding the circuit's principle of operation.

NascentOxygen said:
Are you involving the time constant of the capacitor's charging path, or the capacitor's discharging path? The two are independent.

The fact that you seem to believe you need maths tells me you aren't yet understanding the circuit's operation.

The charging path is what I am interested in. Your right - I don't understand the circuits operation.

p75213 said:
The charging path is what I am interested in. Your right - I don't understand the circuits operation.
In electronics, no amount of maths will save you if you don't first acquire a thorough understanding of how the circuit works. You need to examine a set of waveforms typically found around this circuit, either by doing the lab experiment or by finding a textbook or web resource. Then, the maths follows the practical.

Try googling. It's all there waiting for you.

Likes donpacino

1. How do you calculate peak capacitor voltage across a half-wave rectified AC?

To calculate the peak capacitor voltage across a half-wave rectified AC, you can use the formula Vp = Vs * sqrt(2) - Vd, where Vp is the peak capacitor voltage, Vs is the peak AC supply voltage, and Vd is the voltage drop across the diode.

2. What is the purpose of calculating peak capacitor voltage in a half-wave rectifier circuit?

The peak capacitor voltage in a half-wave rectifier circuit is important because it determines the maximum voltage that the capacitor will be charged to, which in turn affects the output voltage of the rectifier.

3. How does the capacitor voltage affect the output voltage in a half-wave rectifier circuit?

The capacitor voltage affects the output voltage in a half-wave rectifier circuit by smoothing out the pulsating DC voltage and increasing the average output voltage. The higher the capacitor voltage, the closer the output voltage will be to the peak AC supply voltage.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated peak capacitor voltage?

The accuracy of the calculated peak capacitor voltage can be affected by factors such as the tolerance of the components used, variations in the AC supply voltage, and the temperature of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for calculating peak capacitor voltage in a half-wave rectifier circuit?

Yes, the formula for calculating peak capacitor voltage assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as the internal resistance of the diode and the ripple voltage in the output. These factors may cause the actual peak capacitor voltage to differ from the calculated value.