1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor with dielectric

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A parallel plate capacitor consists of two plates, each of area A, separated by a small distance d. in this gap, a dielectric of relative permittivity εr and thickness d/2 is fitted tight against one of the plates, leaving an air gap of thickness d/2 between it and the other plate. Calculate the capacitance of the capacitor

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's law ∫D.dS = ρ

D = ε0(1+εr)E

C = [itex]Q/V[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First I said the plates have a charge density σ. By using Gauss's law in the dielectric I got D = σ, and then the second equation gives

E = D/ε0(1+εr) = σ/ε0(1+εr)

Then (this is where i'm worried I start going wrong) I use this to figure out the potential between the plates, and I split the integral up into two integrals, one inside the dielectric with E = σ/ε0(1+εr) and another outside the dielectric with E = σ/2ε0. Altogether this ends up giving:

V = -([itex]\int_{0}^{d/2} \frac{\sigma dl}{2\epsilon_0 (1+\epsilon)} + \int_{d/2}^{d} \frac{\sigma dl}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex])

and going through the integrals gives

V = [itex]\frac{(\epsilon - 1)d\sigma}{4\epsilon_0}[/itex]

Finally, putting Q = Aσ, I ended up with

C = [itex]4A \epsilon_0/(\epsilon -1)d[/itex]

Could someone tell me if I made a mistake somewhere? I'm quite bad at calculating capacitance.
    Also is it possible to do this problem by thinking of the capacitor as two capacitors connected in series? Because when I try the problem that way I end up getting a d in the numerator, so I think i've slipped up somewhere.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2
    This should be D = ε0εrE

Where are those 2's coming from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted