Calculating Potential Difference in a Capacitor with Resistors Circuit

In summary, the given circuit has an ideal battery with an electromotive force of 12V, resistances R1=4 ohms and R2=6 ohms, and a capacitor with a capacitance of 6x10^-6 F. The capacitor is initially discharged and the switch closes at t=0. The goal is to calculate the potential difference in the capacitor when t=2\tau. To solve this, the equation q=q_o e^(-t/RC) is used, where \tau=RC. Various attempts were made to solve this equation, including calculating the potential difference using Vo=(12V/10)*6=7.2V and V=(7.2V)*e^(-2
NWNINA

Homework Statement

In the following circuit, the ideal battery has an electromotro force of 12V, the resistances R1=4 ohms and R2 = 6 ohms. The capacito of 6x10^-6 F can be found discharged initially. The switch closes at t=0. Calculate the potential difference in the capacitor when t=2[itex]\tau[/itex]

Homework Equations

q=q_o e^(-t/RC)

[itex]\tau[/itex] =RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many things, but nothing seems to be working.

Attachments

• fisi.png
    fisi.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NWNINA! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

What have you tried? Show your working.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi NWNINA! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

What have you tried? Show your working.

this is one of the things i tried:

Vo = (12V/10) * 6 = 7.2V

V=(7.2V)*e^(-2t/t)=.97V

ΔV=6.23V

Last edited by a moderator:
If R1 were zero ohms, after the switch is closed what would be the final voltage across the capacitor? Trace the full path of current as it leaves the battery and charges the capacitor.

NascentOxygen said:
If R1 were zero ohms, after the switch is closed what would be the final voltage across the capacitor? Trace the full path of current as it leaves the battery and charges the capacitor.

I would like to know how to do this question as well. So I found the current using I=I_o*e^(-2t/t) and then I used V=IR to solve for the potential difference. Am I on the right track? If I am what would I use for R, the total resistance of the circuit or just the 4ohm resistor?

how would you find Potential Difference when a charge exists in a capacitor? Also, I believe that equation for charge after some time in the capacitor is too general. You must consider the initial charge in the emf and then take a special difference. The equation is derived from a differential equation that looks like this: q(t)=Q0(1-e^-t/RC)

theBEAST said:
I would like to know how to do this question as well. So I found the current using I=I_o*e^(-2t/t) and then I used V=IR to solve for the potential difference. Am I on the right track? If I am what would I use for R, the total resistance of the circuit or just the 4ohm resistor?
Can you trace the closed-loop path that current would be taking?

1. What is a capacitor with resistors?

A capacitor with resistors is a circuit component that combines both a capacitor and a resistor in parallel. This combination allows for the storage and discharge of electrical energy, while also regulating the flow of current in the circuit.

2. How does a capacitor with resistors work?

The capacitor stores electrical energy in an electric field between its two plates, while the resistor limits the flow of current in the circuit. When the capacitor is fully charged, it will discharge through the resistor, releasing the stored energy and regulating the current flow in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of using a capacitor with resistors?

The main purpose of using a capacitor with resistors is to stabilize and filter the voltage in a circuit. It can also be used to control the timing of electronic circuits, such as in oscillators and filters.

4. What are some common applications of a capacitor with resistors?

Some common applications of a capacitor with resistors include power supplies, audio amplifiers, and electronic signal processing circuits. It is also commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

5. How do you calculate the time constant of a capacitor with resistors?

The time constant of a capacitor with resistors can be calculated by multiplying the value of the resistor (in ohms) by the value of the capacitor (in farads). This will give you the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge to 63% of its initial voltage when fully charged.