1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors and Dielectrics

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    Two capacitors are identical, except that one is empty and the other is filled with a dielectric ( k= 5.00). The empty capacitor is connected to a 6.0 V battery. What must be the potential difference across the plates of the capacitor filled with a dielectric such that it stores the same amount of electrical energy as the empty capacitor?

So here are my thoughts so far.....
    V= 6 V
    So the energy of the empty capacitor is .5V^2 which is .5(18^2)=18 right????? they give no value for C so i assume it is one???
    I have no idea where k comes into the picture. please help. thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What is the equation for the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor in terms of epsilon, A (area) and d (separation distance), ignoring fringe effects at the edges? What is the relationship between epsilon-zero (vacuum value) and the epsilon inside the dielectric?
  4. Apr 18, 2006 #3

I just figured it out.

so .5CV^2=.5kV^2
    so CV^2=kV^2
    so V^2=kV^2
    so 6^2=5V^2
    so V= sqrt(36/5)=2.7 V
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?