Capacitors Complicated Circuit

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with finding the equivalent capacitance in a circuit. The student initially makes a mistake with the values of the capacitors but is advised to redraw the circuit and start with identifying capacitors in series and parallel. The student is asked to show their work to identify where they are making mistakes.
majormaaz

Homework Statement

In Fig. 26-32, the battery has a potential difference of 20 V.
http://www.webassign.net/hrw/26_32.gif

Homework Equations

If Capacitors are in series, then (1/C1) + (1/C2) = (1/Cnew)
If Capacitors are in parallel, then you just add them, C1 + C2 = Cnew

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to get the equivalent capacitance from here.
Would I just add the 12/7 to the 2uF parallel from it to make one capacitor? What happens then to the 2uF originally in series with the 12/7 uF?
This is what I did: Combine the 3 and 4 uF capacs, then the 12/7 and 2 uF(parallel), then that and 3 uF (series) and then that with the remaining 2 uF and 3 uF, in series.
I ended up with 0.696, which is apparently wrong. Is there a correct way how to resolve all these capacitors? PEMDAS for circuits? Any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a picture showing where I'm stuck at:

Attachments

• Capac.png
    Capac.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 545
Uh ... how did you get 4 in series with 4 = 12/7 ?

phinds said:
Uh ... how did you get 4 in series with 4 = 12/7 ?

...Thaaaat appears to be my problem. Thanks! I'll have a go at this again

So, I did the work again, fixing that 3 uF into a 4 uF, and I ended up with getting 12/17 uF, but that's not right either.
Could somebody advise me as to which branches/capacitors I should deal with first, and so on?

majormaaz said:
So, I did the work again, fixing that 3 uF into a 4 uF, and I ended up with getting 12/17 uF, but that's not right either.
Are you using a calculator?

It is pretty obvious when capacitors are in series, so you might as well start there. (But it doesn't matter where you start.) Re-draw the circuit after each step.

So you have 2x 4µF in series, what equivalent capacitance is that?

I can see a pair of 3µF in parallel.

majormaaz said:
Could somebody advise me as to which branches/capacitors I should deal with first, and so on?

You need to show your work so we can see how it is that you are getting these nonsensical answers

Show step by step how you reduce two 4-uf's in series to a single equivalent cap.

I hope this picture helps! It goes from left to right, just in case you didn't know.
EDIT: Sorry, wrong picture

Attachments

• Capac.png
    Capac.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 516
Here we go! My REVISED work.

Attachments

• Capac.png
    Capac.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 540
You KEEP not showing your work, just the end results of each step. Let me repeat myself:

You need to show your work so we can see how it is that you are getting these nonsensical answers

You overlooked my hint? ("I can see a pair of 3µF in parallel")

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

How does a capacitor work in a complicated circuit?

In a complicated circuit, a capacitor can be used to temporarily store and release electrical energy in order to smooth out fluctuations and stabilize the circuit. It can also be used to filter out certain frequencies of electrical signals.

How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor in a complicated circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor in a complicated circuit can be calculated by dividing the total charge stored by the potential difference across the plates. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

What is the role of capacitors in a complicated circuit?

Capacitors play a crucial role in a complicated circuit by performing various functions such as energy storage, voltage regulation, and noise filtering. They are also commonly used in timing circuits, oscillators, and power supplies.

How do you choose the right capacitor for a complicated circuit?

Choosing the right capacitor for a complicated circuit depends on the specific requirements and functions of the circuit. Factors to consider include capacitance value, voltage rating, and type of dielectric material. It is important to consult circuit diagrams and datasheets to ensure proper selection.