1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors homework help

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    any ideas on solving this? (the capacitors are initially charged) I have some ideas but `im not sure which one is correct... I know that Q remains the same between C1 and C2, so that V1C1 + V2C2 = v1'C1 + V2'C2. From there, i don`t know if i can do the same thing for capacitors C2 and C3. I can use Kirchoff for the whole circuit... Is the total charge before and after the switch is closed maintened so that i can use: V1C1 + V2C2 + V3C3= v1'C1 + V2'C2 + V3'C2 ??? (Vx' after the switch is closed, Vx before)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2
    I`d appreciate a quick reply `cause I have exams coming up...
  4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    The net charge of the whole circuit seems to be zero. So i'm not sure that whether you can you use it or not. But I don't have any idea either.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  5. Feb 6, 2006 #4
    I think the answer is: that the charge between C1 and C2 is the same before and after the switch is closed, and the total charge of the circuit remains the same so: C1V1 + C2V2= C1V'1+ C2V'2 and also, the total charge of the circuit remains the same so you ve got two equations. I think that kirchoff can be used too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?