Effect of Dielectric Material on Capacitor Voltages in a Circuit

In summary, when a dielectric material is inserted into C3, the voltage on C3 will change, causing the voltage on all capacitors to change since they are connected in parallel. If the voltage source is removed and replaced with a wire, current will flow and the charges on all capacitors will change. The total charge will remain the same, but the distribution of charges on the capacitor plates will change.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-1_16-53-59.png

C1=C2=C3=C
No internal resistance.
We wait for a while and the put a dielectric material in C3. Then after waiting again we remove the voltage source and after that we take this material out. How will the voltages on the capacitor be affected?

Homework Equations

CV=Q

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand how to know what will change and how to know what will happen in the circuit after that. I know that the voltage on C3 will be affected, but from there how to know what will happen to the other capacitors? What would give us a balanced circuit?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-1_16-53-59.png
    upload_2018-1-1_16-53-59.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 852
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can calculate all the voltages before and after the dielectric is inserted, you can compare and see what is different. Once you know the voltages, you can find the charge on each capacitor. Once the battery is disconnected, will the capacitors lose their charges? What about after the dielectric is removed with the battery still disconnected? Remember, the total charge stays the same because it has nowhere to go after the battery is disconnected.

kuruman said:
If you can calculate all the voltages before and after the dielectric is inserted, you can compare and see what is different. Once you know the voltages, you can find the charge on each capacitor. Once the battery is disconnected, will the capacitors lose their charges? What about after the dielectric is removed with the battery still disconnected? Remember, the total charge stays the same because it has nowhere to go after the battery is disconnected.
I understand the total stays the same, but how am I supposed to know if each capacitor's charge will be changed? Maybe because the voltages are not identical on each capacitor, it will change? I have no idea how to figure this out.

What happens to the capacitance of C3 when the dielectric is inserted with the battery still connected? Does it change or does it stay the same?

kuruman said:
What happens to the capacitance of C3 when the dielectric is inserted with the battery still connected? Does it change or does it stay the same?
It changes, the voltage changes and it's charge stays the same.

How do these changes occur? What increases and what decreases? Can you find V3 and Q3 before the dielectric is inserted? What about after the dilectric is inserted?

kuruman said:
How do these changes occur? What increases and what decreases? Can you find V3 and Q3 before the dielectric is inserted? What about after the dilectric is inserted?
I can find them before. After I am not sure how to.

Eitan Levy said:
I am aware of that but how can I know if current will flow between capacitors?
You mean after the dielectric is removed with the battery disconnected? Yes, current will flow so that the new charge on C3 is the same as on the parallel combination.

kuruman said:
You mean after the dielectric is removed with the battery disconnected? Yes, current will flow so that the new charge on C3 is the same as on the parallel combination.
I thought it stays the same anyway?

Eitan Levy said:
...we remove the voltage source...
Can you clarify this? When the voltage source is removed, is the circuit left open where the source was or is the source replaced by a short circuit (a wire) to close the gap?

Likes Delta2
gneill said:
Can you clarify this? When the voltage source is removed, is the circuit left open where the source was or is the source replaced by a short circuit (a wire) to close the gap?
It is replaced by a wire I believe.

The answer will be different if the battery is replaced with a wire as opposed to when it is not.

kuruman said:
The answer will be different if the battery is replaced with a wire as opposed to when it is not.
I understand , but it doesn't say specifically what happened, just that the voltage source was removed.
According to the answers only the voltage on C3 will change, maybe you can understand from this?

Can anyone help me out with this? I just have an exam tomorrow so I am pretty nervous.

Eitan Levy said:
I understand , but it doesn't say specifically what happened, just that the voltage source was removed.
According to the answers only the voltage on C3 will change, maybe you can understand from this?

If only the voltage on ##C_3## changes then when the battery is removed leaves open circuit. Because if it was shorted with wire then essentially as you can verify the circuit becomes 3 capacitors in parallel so if voltage in one changes then voltage in all changes since they all have same voltage.

Delta² said:
If only the voltage on ##C_3## changes then when the battery is removed leaves open circuit. Because if it was shorted with wire then essentially as you can verify the circuit becomes 3 capacitors in parallel so if voltage in one changes then voltage in all changes since they all have same voltage.
So if we put a wire where we took out the voltage source, current would have flown right? (Because V3=2ε/3 and V12=ε/3).

Eitan Levy said:
So if we put a wire where we took out the voltage source, current would have flown right? (Because V3=2ε/3 and V12=ε/3).
Yes. It might be instructive to look at the charges on the capacitors: Make a circuit drawing showing the distribution of charges on the capacitor plates in the instant before the battery-replacing wire is inserted.

Likes Eitan Levy
Eitan Levy said:
yes and if the connecting wire has zero resistance the current that will flow it will be infinite but will last only for infinitesimal time dt. The total charge that will flow from/into the C_3 capacitor will be finite Idt=infinite * 0=finite for this case.

Likes Eitan Levy
Appreciate the help, thanks a lot!

Likes Delta2

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work in a circuit?

A capacitor works by storing energy in the form of an electric field between its two plates. When connected to a circuit, it can block the flow of direct current (DC) while allowing alternating current (AC) to pass through.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

The purpose of a capacitor in a circuit is to temporarily store and release electrical energy. It can act as a filter, smoothing out fluctuations in voltage, or as a timing element, controlling the rate of energy flow in a circuit.

4. How do you choose the right capacitor for a circuit?

The right capacitor for a circuit depends on its intended use. Factors to consider include capacitance (measured in farads), voltage rating, and temperature stability. It is important to choose a capacitor with the appropriate specifications to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.

5. What are some common issues with capacitors in a circuit?

Some common issues with capacitors in a circuit include leakage (when the capacitor fails to hold its charge), breakdown (when the insulating material fails), and capacitance changes over time (due to aging or environmental factors). It is important to regularly check and replace capacitors when necessary to maintain the integrity of the circuit.