1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors in Parallel and Series

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    Hello. I have a brain fart and this combination circuit has me stumped. Here is a crude representation of the circuit. I had no problem finding the total capacitance (1.34uF), but the second part asks you to find the charge on each of the capacitors, assuming that the potential difference between b and a is 300 V.

2uF 5uF
    a.---| |----- ----.b
    3uF ------||----------
    Ok, I know that the Q2=Q5 and Q3=Q7. The total charge is 402 uC, so Q3=Q7=402uF. Where do I go from here. I have tried all combinations...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Okay, I don't see that circuit of yours. Could you go maybe by circuit flow :P
  4. Oct 8, 2005 #3

The circuit from point a goes to a capacitor of 3uF, then leads to 2 capacitors in series (2uF and 5uF) that are together parallel to a capacitor of 1uF. From the parallel circuit section you get to point b. Does that make sense? I tried to draw it out...but I guess it didn't work:) Thanks!
  5. Oct 8, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

So 3uF+( (2uF + 5uF)//(1uF ) ?
    Your diagram just suggests otherwise. Anyway.
    To calculate the charge on a capacitor in steady state, you use:

Q = CV

The only problem then would be finding V across each capacitor.
    The voltage division rule applies to capacitors as V1 = C2/(C1+C2)
  6. May 8, 2009 #5
    1. With equivalent capacitance, first calculate charge with Q=CV.
    2. Then calculate voltage across 3uF using V=Q(as obtained above)/3uF
    3. Voltage across the parallel combination of 1uF with series combination of 2uF and 5uF will Vab (300v)-V(across 3uF, as obtained above, in step 2). This will be voltage across 1UF.
    4. Using voltage division formula calculate voltages across 2uF and 5uF; sum of voltages across 2uF and 5Uf will be same as voltage across 1uF
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?