Understanding Capacitors in RC Cars - Demson

In summary, the small capacitors found on the electric motor of a remote-controlled car serve the purpose of filtering out high frequency noise generated by the motor, which may interfere with the radio. These capacitors also help eliminate voltage spikes that can damage the motor controller, which are typically too small to include internal capacitors. Their main function is to ensure smooth operation and prevent interference with the receiver.
Demson
i dismantled a Remote controlled car for its parts and i saw on the electric motor some small capacitors.

thats a diagram

CIRCUT.png

i know what a capacitor is but in this instance what is its actual purpose?

help me please

Cheers Demson

Physics news on Phys.org
It is used to filter out high frequency noise generated by the motor which may interfere with the radio. Read about capacitors in AC circuits.

jasc15 said:
It is used to filter out high frequency noise generated by the motor which may interfere with the radio. Read about capacitors in AC circuits.

thanks that is exactly what i need thanks

The black box shown in the diagram is not a RC receiver, but instead a motor controller. It may also be a BEC (battery eliminator controller) that outputs a reduced voltage to the actual receiver. Also the typical case is a single motor.

There can be up to 3 capacitors, one between the leads, and one between each lead and the shell of the motor (giving a "ground" reference to the motor case), although with each lead connected to the case, I don't see the point of a 3rd capacitor hooked up between the leads, unless the goal was to use 3 smaller capacitors instead of 2 larger ones.

The main purpose of the capacitors is to eliminate the voltage spikes which occur as the motor commutates, since those voltage spikes can damage the motor controller, which are generally too small (to keep weight down) to include internal capacitors. The electical noise is also an issue that would interfere with the receiver, but I don't know how much of an issue the noise would be, since rc receivers have good internal filtering and flaw handling, along with spread spectrum usage in newer receivers.

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an RC car?

Capacitors in RC cars are used to store electrical energy and release it quickly when needed. This helps to smooth out fluctuations in the power supply and provide a more consistent flow of energy to the motor.

2. How do capacitors affect the performance of an RC car?

Capacitors can improve the performance of an RC car by reducing electrical noise and interference, providing a more stable power supply, and increasing the responsiveness of the motor.

3. How do I choose the right capacitor for my RC car?

The right capacitor for your RC car will depend on factors such as the motor size, voltage and current requirements, and the type of racing or driving you will be doing. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable RC car expert or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations.

4. Can I use any capacitor in my RC car?

No, it is important to use a capacitor that is specifically designed for use in RC cars. These capacitors are made to withstand the high temperatures and vibrations of RC car racing and are also designed to have a low internal resistance for maximum performance.

5. How do I install a capacitor in my RC car?

The process of installing a capacitor in an RC car will vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. It is best to refer to the instruction manual or consult with an RC car expert for proper installation techniques and placement of the capacitor.