Capacitors in Series: Find Q on 1.0 μF Capacitor

In summary, when finding the charge on a capacitor connected in series, it is important to consider the equivalent capacitance and the individual capacitance values in relation to the total voltage applied to the circuit. This is because the voltage across each capacitor is inversely proportional to its fraction of the total capacitance, and the charge on each capacitor is equal to the charge on the equivalent capacitance.
sgoeke

Homework Statement

Two capacitors with capacitances of 1.0 μC and 0.50 μF, respectively, are connected in series. The system is connected to a 100 V battery. What charge accumulates on the 1.0 μF capacitor?

Homework Equations

For capacitors in series: 1/C(equiv) = 1/C1 + 1/C2

V = Q/C

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the second equation (V=Q/C) to find the charge with V = 100 and C = 1x10^(-6) but I did not get the right answer. However when I found the equivelant capacticance and used that in the second equation to find Q I got the right answer. Can anyone explain whey the second why to do this problem is the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because there are two capacitors in the circuit.
If you use C=C2 (1e-6), then you are just considering a circuit having *one* capacitor.

You basically need to find C to see how the capacitance is split between the two capacitors. That would also give you how the charge is split.

sgoeke said:
I used the second equation (V=Q/C) to find the charge with V = 100 and C = 1x10^(-6) but I did not get the right answer. However when I found the equivelant capacticance and used that in the second equation to find Q I got the right answer. Can anyone explain whey the second why to do this problem is the correct way?

With two capacitors in series you will end up with separate voltages across each, summing to the total voltage (100V). FYI, the voltages across capacitors connected in this way go in inverse proportion to their fraction of the total capacitance values. So if C1 and C2 are initially discharged and placed in series, when 100V is applied you end up with

Vc1 = 100V * C2/(C1 + C2)

Vc2 = 100V * C1/(C1 + C2)

Another feature of capacitors in series is that if you try to push a charge in from "one end", it pushes the same amount of charge through to all the capacitors along the line. That's why you obtained the correct answer when you used the equivalent capacitance and the total voltage; each of the capacitors is holding the same charge as the equivalent capacitance.

Ceq = 1/(1/C1 + 1/C2) = C1*C2/(C1 + C2)

Qceq = 100V * Ceq = 100V * C1*C2/(C1 + C2)

Qc1 = 100V * C2/(C1 + C2) * C1

Qc2 = 100V * C1/(C1 + C2) * C2

All the same.

1. What is the formula for finding the total capacitance of capacitors in series?

The formula for finding the total capacitance of capacitors in series is: 1/Ct = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... where Ct is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances.

2. How do you calculate the charge on a specific capacitor in a series circuit?

To calculate the charge on a specific capacitor in a series circuit, you can use the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. Simply plug in the values for the capacitance and voltage of the capacitor you are interested in.

3. Can you explain the concept of equivalent capacitance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent capacitance is the total capacitance of all the capacitors in the circuit. It is calculated by adding up the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance and taking the reciprocal of that sum. This represents the total charge that can be stored in the circuit.

4. How does adding capacitors in series affect the total capacitance of the circuit?

When capacitors are added in series, the total capacitance of the circuit decreases. This is because the effective plate separation (distance between the plates) increases, resulting in a lower capacitance value.

5. What is the significance of finding the charge on a specific capacitor in a series circuit?

The charge on a specific capacitor in a series circuit can be useful in understanding the behavior of the circuit and calculating other circuit parameters, such as the voltage across each capacitor. It also allows for the design and optimization of circuits for specific purposes.