1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors in series

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    To capacitors are charged up with a potential difference of 24 volts, and then connected in series in a closed circuit. What is the final charge on each capacitor? C1 = 2,0*10^-6 F and C2 = 6,0*10^-6 F

What I did was to compute the total capacitance of the system, and use that to figure out the charge on the capacitor, which would have to be the same on both of them. Or so I thought, the answer in my book says that the charge on each capacitor is just equal to what it would have been if it was just sitting by itself. Why won't the charges distribute themselves equally over both plates in this scenario?

Attached Files:

• ex6.jpg
      ex6.jpg
      File size:
      93.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you done a similar question involving two capacitors charged and then connected in parallel? This is the same except that one capacitor is charged with the oposite polarity (eg one +24V and the other -24V).

Redraw it with the caps on the left and right sides of the circuit.

What does KVL it tell you about the final voltage on each capacitor?

4. May 26, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PS There are two ways to connect two capacitors in series. You have shown then both with +ve on the left. Is that how it's drawn in the book? What if one had +ve on the right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted