Capacitors needed when using an audio amplifier?

In summary, the capacitors on the amplifier circuit should be used to filter out any extra DC current.
toasterman
Hello,
I am using this little audio amplifier with my Maximite computer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ44KLP/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I know that it's a best practice to use capacitors on the audio output from amplifier chips to filter out any extra DC current. I am under the impression that the capacitors on this amplifier circuit will take care of that. Is this true, or should I use capacitors on the output pins also?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe the capacitors you require are mounted on that PCB.
https://www.electroschematics.com/4375/tda-2822-stereo-amplifier/

Likes davenn, berkeman and hutchphd
toasterman said:
I know that it's a best practice to use capacitors on the audio output from amplifier chips to filter out any extra DC current.

Thank you.

I wouldn't call it best practice, more a necessary evil if you don't have split supply rails.

Given the choice you would do balanced supply and have an output stage that does not have appreciable DC off set since DC blocking capacitors have to be huge to not impact the output impedance at low (bass) frequencies and need to have obnoxious ripple current ratings for anything more than a few W of output power.

The TDA2822 is single ended supply, so it would need them unless you run it in bridge mode, they look like they are on the PCB already!

toasterman said:
Is this true, or should I use capacitors on the output pins also?

no extra ones required
Baluncore said:
I believe the capacitors you require are mounted on that PCB.
https://www.electroschematics.com/4375/tda-2822-stereo-amplifier/
Agreed, yes they are :smile:

essenmein said:
I wouldn't call it best practice, more a necessary evil if you don't have split supply rails.
No, they are essential
essenmein said:
Given the choice you would do balanced supply and have an output stage that does not have appreciable DC off set since DC blocking capacitors have to be huge to not impact the output impedance at low (bass) frequencies and need to have obnoxious ripple current ratings for anything more than a few W of output power.

not to mention not letting DC pass to the speaker(s) which is a bad thing

1. What is the purpose of using capacitors in an audio amplifier?

Capacitors are used in audio amplifiers to filter out any unwanted noise or interference from the power supply, resulting in a cleaner and more accurate sound output.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size of capacitor needed for my audio amplifier?

The size of capacitor needed depends on the specific audio amplifier and its power requirements. It is important to consult the amplifier's manual or specifications to determine the appropriate size and type of capacitor to use.

3. Can I use any type of capacitor in my audio amplifier?

No, it is important to use capacitors that are specifically designed for audio applications. Using the wrong type of capacitor can affect the sound quality and potentially damage the amplifier.

4. Can I add additional capacitors to my audio amplifier for better performance?

Adding additional capacitors to an audio amplifier may not necessarily improve its performance. It is important to consult the manufacturer's recommendations and specifications before making any modifications to the amplifier.

5. How often do capacitors need to be replaced in an audio amplifier?

The lifespan of capacitors can vary depending on usage and environmental factors. It is recommended to check and replace capacitors periodically, especially if there are any noticeable changes in sound quality or performance.