1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors Problem

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 10.0 µF capacitor is fully charged across a 10.0 V battery. The capacitor is then disconnected from the battery and connected across an initially uncharged capacitor with capacitance C. The resulting voltage across each capacitor is 4.00 V. What is the value of C?

2. Relevant equations

V= Q/C

3. The attempt at a solution

My logic is that since the voltage changes, it is connected in series, so the charge is same. So I solved for Q for the first one and used it to plug solve for C for the second one. It is wrong, please help. :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the charge is conserved, it just gets distributed across the two capacitors insead of the one. What is the value of charge you got for the first single cap?

But also don't think of the caps as being in series in this problem. They are in parallel for the purposes of figuring out what the final voltage is....
  4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    The charge for the first single cap is .0001 C
  5. Feb 12, 2007 #4
    what's next?
  6. Feb 12, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

You tell me. When two capacitors are connected in parallel, and they have that charge distributed across them, and the resulting voltage is 4V, then what is the total capacitance of the parallel combination? And what does that tell you for the value of the 2nd capacitor?
  7. Feb 12, 2007 #6
    since the voltage is 4 V and the charge is .0001 then the total capacitance would be .000025 F. Since it's parallel C eq = C1 +C2. so C2 s 15 uF. I got it now, thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?