What is the potential difference Vad-Vac?

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential difference Vcd in a circuit with initially uncharged capacitors and an applied potential difference of Vab = +210 V. By finding the equivalent capacitance of the series and calculating the charge on the capacitors, Vad and Vac can be determined using V=QC. The final solution is obtained by subtracting Vad and Vac, resulting in Vcd = 70V.
dwstrait
1. The problem statement
The capacitors in the figure are initially uncharged and are connected, as in the diagram, with switch S open. The applied potential difference is Vab = + 210 V.

What is the potential difference Vcd?

YF-24-60.jpg

Homework Equations

(series) 1/C = 1/c1 + 1/c2 + ...
(parallel) C = c1 + c2 + ...
C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to find Vcd:
I first found the equivalent capacitance of the series, which is 4*10-6 F. I calculated the charge on the capacitors using Q = CV, which was 8.4*10-4. Then, I tried to find Vad and Vac by using V=Q/C. I don't think this is the right way to do this problem though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like the way to do it as far as you went.

Ah, I figured it out. The upper and lower series each have half the value of the charge that I calculated. Then using V=QC, Vad=140V and Vac=70V, so Vad-Vac=70V.

1. What is a capacitor with switch?

A capacitor with switch is a type of electrical component that combines the functions of a capacitor and a switch. It is used to store electrical energy and can be turned on or off with the switch.

2. How does a capacitor with switch work?

A capacitor with switch works by storing electrical energy in an electric field between two conductive plates. When the switch is turned on, the capacitor is connected to a circuit and can release its stored energy. When the switch is turned off, the capacitor is disconnected from the circuit and can begin to store energy again.

3. What are the benefits of using a capacitor with switch?

A capacitor with switch has several benefits, including the ability to store and release large amounts of energy quickly, efficient energy transfer, and the ability to control the flow of electrical current. It also has a longer lifespan compared to traditional switches.

4. What are the applications of capacitors with switch?

Capacitors with switch are commonly used in electronic devices such as cameras, flash units, and motor control circuits. They are also used in power grids to improve the efficiency and stability of the electrical system.

5. What should I consider when choosing a capacitor with switch?

When choosing a capacitor with switch, you should consider factors such as the capacitance, voltage rating, and maximum current rating. It is also important to ensure that the switch can handle the required current and has a suitable switching speed for your intended application.