1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors yet another question - please help

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] capacitors yet another question - please help

Sir, I have uploaded my two questions along with my solution.
    Can you just tell me if my solution is correct.
    The link is:
    http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capcitorsao1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

1. Wrong, for the same reason as mentioned in your other post.

2. Don't put finite charges on infinite plates. If you talk about infinite plates, then you have to talk of the surface charge density. I'll just assume that the plates are very big but finite. In fig 5, you've earthed the right plate only. But the total charge on the left plate has become less. How? Where did the rest of the charge on the left plate go?

4. Dec 21, 2007 #3
    i was thinking that if i take the charge on the left plate, then due to that charge, their will exists electric field inside the conducting plate on the right. So through induction, i brought that charge on the left plate to the right and made it go to the earth. Am i thinking right?

5. Dec 22, 2007 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If you connect a number of capacitors in series across a voltage source, the outer most plates must have same charge.
    So through induction, i brought that charge on the left plate to the right and made it go to the earth
    By induction you cannot transfer the charges from one plate to the other.

6. Dec 22, 2007 #5
    ok, then how do i talk about the charge that is left over on the plate which was not earthed. That will be creating electric field inside the plate that was earthed. instead of induction, can i say that it was charge rearrangement.
    One more thing, on earthing, can i say that charge on the outer plate goes to the earth.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  7. Dec 22, 2007 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In Q2,if the two plates are charged with q1 and q2 , each face of the plate will have q/2 charge. Total charge in each plate does not change with the presence of the other plate. Distribution of the charge may change. So the charge distribution shown by you is not correct.

8. Dec 23, 2007 #7
  9. Dec 23, 2007 #8

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. It is fine.

10. Dec 24, 2007 #9
    thx Sir
    I have put another question also, regarding the two capacitors in series; with one capacitor having some initial charge. I am interested to find the charge on both capacitors as a function of time. But i am not able to write an equation that will give me final charge on both the capacitors as same.
    Can you give some idea regarding that as how shall i proceed.

11. Dec 24, 2007 #10

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

That problem will be discussed, and is being discussed, in the other running thread. Don't post the same thing under various threads. It's a sure way of putting people off.

12. Dec 24, 2007 #11
    ok ok .. sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?