Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacity Factor of Cell Power

1. Aug 1, 2017 #1
    Hello. I'm in the process of teaching myself cell bio and I'm curious to find a good source with actual rates of glycolysis in cells. In a nutshell, I'm wondering what the maximum rate of ATP production within the cell is (assuming a normal yet constant extracellular concentration of glucose) and how this compares to the average needs of the cell (normal rate of energy production/use). This would be like asking for the capacity factor of a power plant. I realize this probably varies by cell type and there appears to be both passive and active glucose uptake (not that this is necessarily the rate-limiting process), but any explanation or directions to a solid source would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm trying to get a good idea of the the order of magnitude and how it changes during the cell cycle.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2017 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted