1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capicitance and Voltage (HELP!)

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    I am really confused on how to solve this Physics question. I attempted the first one but is wrong for some reason.

A 7.0 micro F and a 3.0 micro F capacitor are connected in series and this combination is connected in parallel with a 4.4 micro F capacitor.

a) What is the net capacitance?
    b) If 24 V is applied across the whole network, calculate the voltage across each capacitor.

For part a, i tried to do:

1/Net Capacitance = 1/(7+3) + 1/4.4 and got 3.056 for the net capacitance. However, it is saying that i am wrong. Can you tell me what i am doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First find the capacitance of the series combination. What is it?
  4. Feb 11, 2010 #3
    haha nvm i get part a

for part a i got 1/7 + 1/3 and took the inverse of that then added it to 4.4 XD

how do you do part b?
  5. Feb 11, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a 1/7 + 1/3 μF capacitor in parallel with a 4.4 μF capacitor. What is the voltage across the 4.4 μF capacitor? What is the voltage across the 1/7 + 1/3 μF combination capacitor?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook