Capillary action at different temperatures

In summary, the first experiment showed opposite results due to the difference in surface tension caused by temperature, while the second experiment showed a decrease in surface tension with an increase in soap solution concentration causing the disk to sink.
SCalver
Hi guys,

I'm doing a project at the moment revolving around capillary action and surface tension. Today I conducted an experiment to observe capillary action in a capillary tube and paper towel at different temperatures of water. I don't understand why I've got the following results:

nj9A0kd.png

As you can see, they are complete opposites of each other. This seems to make sense according to my calculations with Washburns and Jurins equations. But I can't figure out the physics behind this. The capillary tube radius is 0.2mm. The paper towel was 1.5x23cm with 5cm submerged in water for a time of 120 seconds.

I also did an experiment investigating the relation between surface tension and soapy water. I tried different concentrations of soap solution and added them dropwise onto the top of a circular metal disk very carefully until failure occured. Any ideas why my graph seems to level out after while?:

CU6h2M3.png

here is a picture of what I mean by failure (excuse my crappy camera)
non failure:
TUF52oT.png

Failure:
3N6KgrN.png

any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
. Thank you!First of all, for the first experiment, the reason why the results of the capillary tube and paper towel were opposite is because of the way surface tension works. Surface tension is an attractive force that acts between the molecules of a liquid. It is stronger in liquids with higher surface tension and weaker in liquids with lower surface tension. The higher temperature of the water in the capillary tube caused the water to have a higher surface tension, so it was able to move up the tube more easily than the lower temperature water in the paper towel.For the second experiment, the reason why the graph levels out is because the soap solution is reducing the surface tension of the water. As the concentration of the soap solution increases, the surface tension decreases until it gets to a point where it can no longer hold the weight of the disk on the surface of the water. This is why the graph levels out - the surface tension is not strong enough to hold the weight of the disk any more.

What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the movement of a liquid through a narrow space, such as a tube or porous material, due to the adhesive and cohesive forces between the liquid and the surface it is in contact with.

How does temperature affect capillary action?

Temperature affects capillary action by changing the properties of the liquid, such as its surface tension and viscosity. These changes can impact the strength of the adhesive and cohesive forces, thus altering the rate and direction of capillary action.

What happens to capillary action at higher temperatures?

At higher temperatures, the surface tension of the liquid decreases, which weakens the adhesive forces between the liquid and the surface. This results in a decrease in capillary action as the liquid is less able to climb up and against gravity.

How does capillary action change with different liquids?

The properties of the liquid, such as its surface tension and viscosity, greatly influence the strength of capillary action. Therefore, different liquids will exhibit different rates and directions of capillary action at the same temperature.

Is there a limit to how high or low the temperature can be for capillary action to occur?

Capillary action can occur over a wide range of temperatures, but there are limits. At extremely high or low temperatures, the properties of the liquid may change significantly, affecting the strength of the adhesive and cohesive forces and potentially inhibiting capillary action.