1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Capillary action with Mercury

1. Jul 27, 2018 #1
    It's a question which come into my mind after reading related notes now and again and I can't think of plausible response to it.
    Given Statements:
    We have a container filled with mercury and a glass capillary tube placed in it . As tube's diameter become smaller mercury's height in tube will get shorter and shorter.The reason said to be due to strong cohesion mercury has which makes it reluctant to stick to capillary walls and go higher unlike water.
    My Question:
    If mercury has such strong cohesion why it's seen to rise,although small, in our glass tube?

I'll appreciate any help !

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2018 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

4. Jul 27, 2018 #3
    Well it's right but why it's not totally getting out of tube?

5. Jul 28, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The resultant of its cohesive forces and the forces adhering to the glass has a downwards component which acts against the force due to the hydrostatic pressure of the liquid. Net result is a lower level. The mercury is pulled downwards.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted