What is the flow rate through a capillary tube?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an equation to calculate the flow rate through a straight vertical or angled capillary tube. The Hagen Poiseuille equation is suggested, but it may need to be modified to include hydrostatic pressure effects. A link to a lecture notes on the topic is also provided.
ratzmoose
Hi,

I was wondering if there was an equation for the flow rate through a straight vertical or angled capillary tube. All I can find is how to calculate the height it rises but I would like to know how to find the rate it rises. I imagine it is not a steady rate since it must stop once it reaches it's max height however just to be able to get the time it would take to get to that point should suffice for what I am doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the Hagen Poiseuille equation. This equation would have to be modified to include hydrostatic pressure effects.

Chet

1. What is a capillary tube?

A capillary tube is a small, narrow tube with a very small internal diameter, typically less than 1mm. It is used in scientific research to measure and control small amounts of liquids or gases.

2. What is capillary tube flow rate?

Capillary tube flow rate refers to the measurement of the amount of liquid or gas passing through a capillary tube per unit of time. It is affected by the diameter of the tube, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube.

3. How is capillary tube flow rate calculated?

Capillary tube flow rate is calculated using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the diameter of the tube, the fluid viscosity, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube. Another factor that can affect the calculation is the length of the tube.

4. What factors can affect capillary tube flow rate?

Capillary tube flow rate can be affected by several factors, such as the diameter of the tube, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube, and the length of the tube. Other factors that can influence the flow rate include temperature, surface tension, and the presence of any obstructions or bends in the tube.

5. How is capillary tube flow rate used in research?

Capillary tube flow rate is commonly used in scientific research to measure and control small amounts of liquids or gases. It is particularly useful in experiments where precise measurements are required, such as in microfluidics, chromatography, and drug delivery systems. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and chemical engineering for accurate dosing and dispensing of fluids.