1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capillary Tube Problem

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A drip-irrigation emitter constructed of a coiled capillary tube is inserted into the wall of a drip irrigation line with a constant water pressure of 5 psi. Compute the required length of the emitter’s capillary tube to produce an emitter dripping rate of 2 litres per hour if the capillary tube diameter is 1mm.

2. Relevant equations

Pressure = Force * Area
    Volume of Cylinder = ∏ * Length *Radius^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I converted all the units into SI. I know I need to solve for length of the cylinder, but when I try to equal the cylinder dimensions to 5psi nothing works out. Just don't know how to approach the problem yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

5 pounds/inch^2 = 34,473.7865 kg/ms^2
    2Litres/hour = 5.55x10^-7 m^3/s
    diameter = 1mm = 0.001m
    radius = 0.001m/2 = 0.0005m

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2
    Hi Maxnormal. Welcome to Physics Forums!!!!

Are you learning fluid mechanics? Have you learned about the Hagen -Poiseuille viscous flow equation?

Chet

4. May 12, 2014 #3
    Hey! Right now I am learning Soil Physics. And I have not learned of that equation yet. Will I need that equation to solve the problem?

5. May 12, 2014 #4
    Google it and see if it satisfies your needs.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted