Capital Punishment returns?

• News
  • Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date

I would argue that Kant is wrong in tis context because he is treating the person being executed as a means to an end (satisfying justice, eliminating blood guilt, etc.).

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

Or, maybe you have understood Kant wrongly, and that he is quite consistent, also in the case of the death penalty.

Perhaps so, but his quotes are not arguments.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

Perhaps so, but his quotes are not arguments.

Nor have I said they were.

DaveC426913
Gold Member

Yeah, those aren't arguments at all, they're simply stated beliefs...
How did this guy get to be influential?

Kant was what my philosophy teacher loved to call an "armchair" philosopher.

As for why he can be so influential, you have to separate the philosopher from the philosophy (which is sort of required of Kantian moralists since you are only supposed to compare yourself to the moral code, not to others).

What if one gets framed for murder and the law can't see it right? That's a problem.

I think we should only enact this when there is definite evidence to support the claim.

Like finger prints, live video capture (probably not edited with effects?), and DNA testing?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

What if one gets framed for murder and the law can't see it right? That's a problem.

I think we should only enact this when there is definite evidence to support the claim.

Like finger prints, live video capture (probably not edited with effects?), and DNA testing?

Breivik is an excellent example of a guy where miscarriage of justice in implementing the death penalty would not be an issue.