1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capitalization?

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1
    Should the word king be capitalized. I am writing a monolouge for "A man for all seasons" and I have to refer to king henry but I don't know when I a call him "the king" if it should be in capitals or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2
    I'd go with "the King".

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe the word is capitalized when used in reference to a specific king, e.g. King Henry, because it is rightfully that person's title. When used in reference to kings in general, e.g. the king of England, it need not be capitalized.

- Warren

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even in chroot's example I'd capitalize in the following context : " Hail, the King of England !" but perhaps not in this context : "The king of England must never travel without his bodyguards."

The first example uses capitalization because it refers to a specific king. So, I'd say you should capitalize it too. (ie : I concur with devious and chroot)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?