Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1
    Should the word king be capitalized. I am writing a monolouge for "A man for all seasons" and I have to refer to king henry but I don't know when I a call him "the king" if it should be in capitals or not.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2
    I'd go with "the King".
  4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe the word is capitalized when used in reference to a specific king, e.g. King Henry, because it is rightfully that person's title. When used in reference to kings in general, e.g. the king of England, it need not be capitalized.

- Warren
  5. Oct 21, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even in chroot's example I'd capitalize in the following context : " Hail, the King of England !" but perhaps not in this context : "The king of England must never travel without his bodyguards."

The first example uses capitalization because it refers to a specific king. So, I'd say you should capitalize it too. (ie : I concur with devious and chroot)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?