Exploring Capstone Design: Understanding Its Uses

• Thread starter redgoat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, capstone design is the process of creating a central piece, often shaped like \ /, that connects the two ends of an arch or structure, such as a bridge or doorway. This allows the arches to lean on each other and provide support. It is also used in old arched doorways and cathedrals. In college, capstone projects are often completed in the senior year to demonstrate understanding and application of material learned.
redgoat
What is Capstone design? What is it used for?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are referring to bridge design, a capstone or keystone, is the center piece of the arch that locks the two ends of the bridge together. In an arch, each brick or stone is stacked so that it spans half an arch on each end. This would fall, except that the capstone is what connects the two ends. Its usually shaped as such, \ / , and allows the two arches to lean on each other and thus support each other and not fall. You might be referring to something different though.

Edit: Oh yeah, its also used in old arched doorways and cathedrals, same concept as in the bridge, only flatter.

Here is a picture of two arches one on top of the other, I have never seen this before, but you can clearly see the TWO capstones or keystones at the top of the arch, which I highlighted red for you. I found the pic on the net, it is of Hemyock Castle

Last edited:
Is this in reference to the architectural art or the college courses? As an incoming engineering freshman, I know a lot of schools have a capstone project in their senior year, where you actually have to complete a project. The goal of this is to demonstrate that you have actually learned the material and how to apply it. This help?

1. What is the purpose of a capstone design project?

The purpose of a capstone design project is to provide students with the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired throughout their academic career to a real-world problem or project. It allows students to engage in hands-on, practical learning and prepare them for their future careers.

2. How is a capstone design project different from other projects or assignments?

A capstone design project differs from other projects or assignments in several ways. Firstly, it is usually completed in a team, allowing students to develop teamwork and collaboration skills. Additionally, a capstone project typically involves a longer timeline and requires students to use a variety of skills and knowledge from different disciplines.

3. Who can participate in a capstone design project?

Capstone design projects are typically completed by students in their final year of undergraduate or graduate studies. However, some schools may allow students from different academic levels to participate, as long as they meet the necessary prerequisites.

4. What are the benefits of completing a capstone design project?

Completing a capstone design project can have many benefits, including the development of practical skills, the opportunity to work on a real-world problem, and the chance to network with professionals in the field. It can also enhance a student's resume and make them more competitive in the job market.

5. How do I choose a topic for my capstone design project?

The topic for a capstone design project is usually chosen based on the student's interests and areas of expertise. It is important to select a topic that is challenging, relevant, and aligns with the learning outcomes of the course. Students can also consult with their professors or advisors for guidance on choosing a suitable topic.