1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capturing Electrons Inertia?

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    This is a pretty general question, but could it be possble to capture and use an electrons inertia? Or does the heisenberg uncertainty principle make this just flat out impossible
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by this?
  4. Jan 3, 2010 #3
    I think he means momentum. The answer is yes, its possible, but your method of capturing the energy/momentum would have to have a size large enough and be positioned in such a way to make the uncertainty in the position and momentum of the particle small compared to the probability of capture of the device. Betavoltaics would be an example of this type of technology. Are you interested in this type of technology?, because there may be some potential for improvements with the development of nanotechnology and I'm sure there is a market for a cell phone that never has to be charged although you may want to steer away from the words nuclear, radioactive or atomic when marketing it.
  5. Jan 3, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You will be hard-pressed to not only DETECT such "inertia", but also to justify all the expense of trying to use something that minuscule.

You also can't say ask for something to be used, without indicating WHAT it will be used for. If you say that you want to use it for propulsion, I would place you in a class and ask you to calculate the momentum transfer from a single electron and let you calculate how much it would need to provide just a simple, rudimentary propulsion. It would require an absurd amount of effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook