Car Acceleration homework questions

In summary, the conversation discusses various statements and equations related to acceleration and its direction. The question is then posed, which of the following statements is true? After discussing potential answers and providing analogies, the conclusion is reached that the correct answer is d, as slowing down is generally associated with negative acceleration.
aquapod17

Homework Statement

Which of the following is true?
a. None of these answers are correct.
b. If a car is traveling eastward, its acceleration is eastward.
c. A particle with constant acceleration can never stop and stay stopped.
d. If a car is slowing down, its acceleration must be negative.

Homework Equations

a = v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm thinking it's a, but I'm not really sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a let's try to think of a simple analogy.
a) If a man is jumping upward, his acceleration is upward.
Can you see why this isn't true?

b) A little ambiguous, but can you think of a way a particle can have a constant acceleration, and not be moving?

c) Again, a little ambiguous... but I just picture everything here going in the positive x direction. Just think about how velocity and acceleration relate. acceleration = change in speed divided by change in time? If change in speed is negative, what is acceleration?

I'd say it's "d". Slowing down is pretty much negative acceleration.

b: The car might be going east, but it might be traveling at a constant velocity.
c: Outside force to stop it.

1. What is car acceleration?

Car acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a car changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is car acceleration calculated?

Car acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity - initial velocity) by the time taken for that change to occur.

3. What factors affect car acceleration?

There are several factors that can affect car acceleration, including the car's engine power, weight, and aerodynamics. The type of tires and road surface can also have an impact on acceleration.

4. How does acceleration affect fuel efficiency?

Acceleration can have a significant impact on fuel efficiency. Rapid acceleration uses more fuel, while gradual acceleration can save fuel. Additionally, maintaining a constant speed rather than accelerating and decelerating frequently can also improve fuel efficiency.

5. How does acceleration differ in electric cars compared to gas-powered cars?

Electric cars have a much smoother acceleration compared to gas-powered cars due to the continuous torque provided by electric motors. Gas-powered cars typically have a more "jerky" acceleration due to the firing of cylinders in the engine.