1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Accident?

Tags:
  1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem:

You are the juror of a case involving a drunken driver whose 1026.0 kg sports car ran into a stationary 1913.0 kg station wagon stopped at a red traffic light. The cars stuck together and slid with locked wheels for 12.0 m before coming to rest. The coefficient of sliding friction on the dry road was 0.6. Estimate the speed of the sports car when it hit the station wagon.

I was able to figure out that the answer is equal to 34.03 m/s. However, the second part of the problem has me confused:

Estimate the instantaneous acceleration of the sports car during the actual collision if the colliding cars reach the same final speed after collapsing a combined total distance of 1.0 m.

I used the equation vf^2=vi^2+ 2a(change in x) and solved for a. For vf I used the velocity I got for the final velocity of the two cars after the collision (since it's an inelastic collision) and I got vi=0 because the station wagon was at rest. For the "change in x" I plugged in 1 m. I can't seem to get the answer, can anyone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    Are you considering energy of friction?

Where are your masses in the energy equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?