Understanding Alternator Battery Charging: How Does it Work?

In summary: A blown regulator is a common problem on some Honda motorcycles. The battery then gets over 20 V and "boils" dry.
Vonnesy
I am wondering how can an alternator charge the battery if the rpm change constantly? Can someone please explain me how it manages to produce a constant voltage?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vonnesy said:
I am wondering how can an alternator charge the battery if the rpm change constantly? Can someone please explain me how it manages to produce a constant voltage?

It has a voltage regulator which changes the field strength to maintain a constant output voltage.

So an alternator as a whole is like a smart generator...now why then they don't use this system for windturbines instead of a brake system

Vonnesy said:
So an alternator as a whole is like a smart generator...now why then they don't use this system for windturbines instead of a brake system

I've worked on lots of alternators, but I've never built, worked on, nor even seen an actual wind turbine in operation before. But I believe they use generators which I had never heard of before. Since I've never heard of them, I don't know how they work exactly.

Wiki has this comment about their use:

Induction generators are mechanically and electrically simpler than other generator types. They are also more rugged, requiring no brushes or commutators.

I would imagine they use braking systems to keep the turbines from spinning too fast, and destroying themselves. Automotive alternators are hooked to the engine and are probably geared so that their safe operating speed is never exceeded based on the safe operating limit of the driving motor.

Wind turbines typically use synchronous generators, which output variable frequency because the wind speed is variable. The output is then rectified to DC and connected to a line common to all the other wind turbines. Then the DC current is converted to AC at constant frequency with an inverter.

Termotanque said:
Wind turbines typically use synchronous generators, which output variable frequency because the wind speed is variable. The output is then rectified to DC and connected to a line common to all the other wind turbines. Then the DC current is converted to AC at constant frequency with an inverter.
bolding mine

This is untrue according to my memory.

This is backed up by a wiki.windpower.org(and therefore unreliable) comment:

Most wind turbines in the world use a so-called three phase asynchronous (cage wound) generator, also called an induction generator to generate alternating current. This type of generator is not widely used outside the wind turbine industry, and in small hydropower units, but the world has a lot of experience in dealing with it anyway
[ref]bolding again mine

Asynchronous generators are rarely used because their speed has to be almost twice the synchronous speed for maximum efficiency, and they have to be magnetized externally to be able to start. However, it's possible that they found some use for them since they are cheaper and could in principle run at variable speeds (although not at maximum efficiency).

Read this too: http://wiki.windpower.org/index.php/Indirect_grid_connection

Apparently both systems are used.

Termotanque said:
Asynchronous generators are rarely used because their speed has to be almost twice the synchronous speed for maximum efficiency, and they have to be magnetized externally to be able to start. However, it's possible that they found some use for them since they are cheaper and could in principle run at variable speeds (although not at maximum efficiency).

Read this too: http://wiki.windpower.org/index.php/Indirect_grid_connection

Apparently both systems are used.

Rarely used?

http://www.ge-energy.com/wind
Most widely deployed wind turbine - 16,500+ turbines installed globally

GE 1.5 MW Series Generator
* Doubly-fed three-phase asynchronous generator

google vestas Vxx gnerator type said:
Vestas V80, V82, V90 - asynchronous generator

Or are you talking about home style wind generators?

Car alternators produce 3 phase AC. Voltage depends on engine speed, typically 13 V at tick over to around 30 V at full speed.

The AC gets converted to DC by the rectifier. The voltage regulator then let's about 13.8 V through and wastes the rest as heat.

A blown regulator is a common problem on some Honda motorcycles. The battery then gets over 20 V and "boils" dry.

The rectifier and regulator are inside the cover on common car alternators.

1. How does an alternator charge a battery?

An alternator is a type of generator that converts mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy. The alternator uses a belt and pulley system to turn a rotor inside a housing with a fixed coil. As the rotor spins, it creates a magnetic field that induces a current in the coil, generating electricity. This electricity is then used to charge the battery.

2. What is the role of the voltage regulator in alternator battery charging?

The voltage regulator is a crucial component in the alternator charging system. It controls the amount of current flowing to the battery, ensuring that it does not overcharge or undercharge. The voltage regulator also maintains a steady voltage output, preventing damage to the battery and other electrical components.

3. Can a faulty alternator affect battery charging?

Yes, a faulty alternator can significantly affect battery charging. If the alternator is not functioning correctly, it will not be able to generate enough electricity to charge the battery. This can result in a drained battery or a battery that is not fully charged, leading to starting issues and other electrical problems in the vehicle.

4. How often should the alternator and battery be checked for proper charging?

It is recommended to have the alternator and battery checked at least once a year to ensure they are functioning correctly. However, if you notice any issues with starting the vehicle or dimming headlights, it is essential to have them checked immediately to prevent further damage to the electrical system.

5. Can a larger alternator charge a battery faster?

No, a larger alternator does not necessarily charge a battery faster. The charging rate is primarily determined by the voltage regulator, which controls the amount of current flowing to the battery. However, a larger alternator may be able to handle a higher electrical load, which can be beneficial for vehicles with many electrical components or accessories.