1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car and satillite problem

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Starting from rest, a car travels 1350m in one minute. It accelerated at 1m/s2 until it reached its cruising speed. Then it drove the remaining distance at constant velocity. What was its cruising speed?

2. A satellite is in a circular orbit 600km above the Earth’s surface. The acceleration of gravity is 8.21m/s2 at this altitude. The radius of the Earth 6400km. Determine the speed of the satellite and the time to complete of orbit around earth.

2. Relevant equations
    problem 1:

t1 t2
    |___________.______________________> time x
    d1 d2

d1+d2=1350m t1+t2=60 secs

d1=a(t1)squared d2=v(t)sqaured

problem 2:

v=d/t = pie*diameter/t

3. The attempt at a solution

problem 1:
    i derived these two formulas

i don't know where to go from there because i have 2 unknown variables, v and t1.

problem 2:

i got the answer for speed and time, but i'm not sure if i did it right.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2
    problem 1:

Your equation

d = a*t1^2 + v*(t-t1)

is correct but you're forgetting that the cruise velocity v is also constrained by being the result of acceleration for t1 time:

v = a*t1

so you can substitute for v into the d equation and you end up with a quadratic equation with one unknown.

problem 2:

Your answers seem to be correct. Btw, your math would look much more clear if you did something like "v^2" to mean "v squared".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?