How Can I Build My Own Inverter to Convert Car Battery Voltage to 220V AC?

In summary, the OP wants to build a device to convert a car battery's voltage to 220V AC, but can't find the parts in his city. He also wants to know how many hours a battery with a 40Amp-hour rating can give him.
MedoTech
Hey all .. i happy to join this forum because of the amount of information that it has ..

In our city , the electricity cut down for long time may be 10 hours in a day ..
I want to make a device so i can convert the car battery voltage ( 12V DC) to (220V AC)
this device called Inverter .. i searched for it on amazon , its price was very suitable , but the problem it i can't get it in our city ..
So i want to make it myself , so please give me the help and steps to build it , the needed inverter is 500W or 1000W inverter ( at least 500W) ... and please me a devices which contains the electronic parts that i can use in the inverter .. we have difficult to find the parts in the shop ... so please give me a way to build it by electronic parts which is most common in the shop or the old devices .

another question is how many hours that (a buttery with 40Amp/h ) can give me hours with 500w device
Thank you very much

Engineering news on Phys.org
For each amp you get at 240 volts, the battery has to supply 20 amps plus whatever losses occur in the inverter.
So, even at 300 watts out, the inverter will flatten a typical car battery in less than an hour.

Plus, you have to pay for the power to charge the battery.

Have you considered getting a small gasoline generator to provide power?

another question is how many hours that (a battery with 40Amp/h ) can give me hours with 500w device

500 watts is 41.66 amps at 12 volts. So if the inverter was 100% efficient, the battery would last 57.6 minutes. However, inverters are not 100 % efficient and the amp-hour rating of batteries is only a guide, so it would be more like 30 minutes.

Last edited:
no need for gasoline generator to provide power .. the electricity cut for 10 hours and then it get back for the remain time (14 H) ...
and i can understand from your reply that the battery with 40amp can give me just 1 hour ? for a device work on 500w ...

thanx vk6kro

Yes, a 40AmpHr battery contains 12*40WHr of energy
And a car battery can only be discharged to about half the rated capacity without damaging it.
For a backup power you need deep discharge (also called marine) batteries - they are, of course, more than twice as expensive.

mgb_phys said:
Yes, a 40AmpHr battery contains 12*40WHr of energy
That depends greatly on how fast you try to use the energy, condition of the battery, and its temperature.

mheslep said:
That depends greatly on how fast you try to use the energy, condition of the battery, and its temperature.

Yes - and I pointed out that you can only get about half this out of a regular car battery.
But the OP was confused about the whole Amps/Amp-hours/ Energy/capacity thing

mgb_phys said:
Yes - and I pointed out that you can only get about half this out of a regular car battery.
Ok, though it is also true (energy is not a constant V*amp-hours) of the deep discharge marine batteries.

What is a car battery and inverter?

A car battery is a rechargeable battery that provides the necessary electrical energy to start a car's engine and to power its electrical systems. An inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) electricity from the battery into alternating current (AC) electricity, which is needed to power most household appliances and electronics.

How does a car battery and inverter work together?

The car battery provides the initial power to start the car's engine and is then recharged by the alternator while the car is running. The inverter then takes the DC electricity from the battery and converts it into AC electricity, which can be used to power various devices such as laptops, phones, and other electronics.

Can I use a car battery and inverter as a backup power source for my home?

Yes, you can use a car battery and inverter as a backup power source for your home. However, keep in mind that car batteries are not designed for long-term use and may not provide enough power to run larger appliances or electronics. It is important to properly size the inverter and have a way to recharge the battery if using it as a backup power source for an extended period of time.

How do I maintain my car battery and inverter?

To maintain your car battery, regularly check the connections for any corrosion and clean them if necessary. It is also important to keep the battery charged and avoid draining it completely. For the inverter, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance, such as keeping it clean and free of dust, and checking for any loose connections.

What are some common problems with car batteries and inverters?

Some common problems with car batteries and inverters include dead batteries, faulty connections, and blown fuses. It is important to regularly check the battery and inverter for any issues and address them promptly to avoid any potential problems or disruptions in power supply.