Car Carriers- A hypothetical

• Thread starter BK Bundles
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
I am not talking about the truck braking and forcing the car to skid. I only spoke of a situation where the car is back from the ramp onto the road and at that instant when the car is free from the truck, the truck brakes...
So the car is on the road, ahead of the truck? Why would the truck braking have any effect on the car?
The scenario I was reffering to is different. Well if the ramp is long enough, and the car//bike or object on top of the ramp, accelerates and reaches a speed of 65 on the ramp. then when it comes down from the ramp on the other side, of a ramp structured as /TTT\, this was the condition that I had expressed my views on.. and not of the instant when the car climbs on the ramp, even then when u dont ease off the accelerator, the car will experience a thrust on the ramp, if u dont decelerate or change gears while going up the ramp. Kind of like when u lift he back wheels (not talking about front wheel drives and 4 wheel drives) accelerate and then let the car//bike back wheel down.
Oh, I see. Well, the truck would have to be a few hundred yards long for the car to be able to accelerate to 65mph wrt the truck and it would still have to deal with wind resistance, but I suppose it could do it. Once it got back on the road, it would need a large increase in power output to maintain the speed, but there would be no sudden, rapid deceleration.

russ_watters
Mentor
:(
boohoo... Thank you everyone,.. but I guess as a newbie I still need to wait for the moderators or the system to provide me the rights to post...

Well got this message.... Can someone help me here...

vBulletin Message
vish_al210, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home
You can post in a thread, but not a post a new thread? Odd.... I'll look into it.

So the car is on the road, ahead of the truck? Why would the truck braking have any effect on the car?
Well just a safety concern.. in case anything bad happens to the car.. Well it was to avoid any questions or implications that one might pose about the truck hitting the car... but I guess I should have avoided that bit.. ;) my bad....

it would need a large increase in power output to maintain the speed, but there would be no sudden, rapid deceleration.
Oh! ok, I thought that some thing similar to what happens when we just cut gears would happen. like if I drive and cut down gears from the top gear to the first//lowest gear.

And thankyou once again for looking into my case of - the curtailed Poster... hee hee... may be just that I registered into the forum today a few hours back... maybe I shld try again another time.. mostly tomorrow... Thanks again for all your efforts...

Hey just logged in again,... can now post a new thread... but may be later.. gotta rush to work.. am already 3 hrs late ;)

Last edited:
rcgldr
Homework Helper
Mythbuster video of a car carefully driving up a ramp onto a truck:

Mythbusters made this seem more risky than it actually is. This same stunt also done on "Fear Factor" by inexperienced contestants, the driver was blindfolded and the passenger was giving directions, to drive up a ramp onto a flatbed truck. Speed was around 35 to 40 mph I think. Obviously there were crashes with the car partially catching the ramp, and rolling over, but the car had a roll cage and the occupants were using harnesses. There were a few sucessful runs. As mentioned above, the vehicles momentum is much greater than the momentum of the tires and the drivetrain, so there was no sudden burst of acceleration due to the tires or drive train running at a high speed just before contact with the ramp.

Also as mentioned previously, when airplanes land they don't suddenly stop because the tires aren't spinning just before touch down (although some aircraft do spin the tires to reduce stress on the the tires and landing gear).

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Mythbusters made this seem more risky that it actually is.
Well, risk is relative.

Any stuntage involving multiple moving vehicles at point blank range at 40mph is risky.

rcgldr
Homework Helper
Mythbusters made this seem more risky than it actually is. This same stunt also done on "Fear Factor" by inexperienced contestants, the driver was blindfolded and the passenger was giving directions, to drive up a ramp onto a flatbed truck.
Well, risk is relative. Any stuntage involving multiple moving vehicles at point blank range at 40mph is risky.
True, but in the case of that Fear Factor episode (season 5, episode 18), crashing was an option (and happened quite a bit), as the cars (they went through a few) had a roll cage, and the occupants were harnassed. The actual Fear Factor sequence was a timed event where the car started along side the moving flat bed truck, had to slow down to get behind it, line up for the ramp, then accelerate to get onto the ramp and brake to re-sync speeds again and "stop" on the flat bed, all of this with a blind folded driver and passenger giving directions. IIRC, the best time was less than 20 seconds. The flat bed did seem wider than the enclosed truck used in the MythBusters episode, so there was a bit more margin for error.