1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Chase Problem

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two cars A and B, initially side by side and both at rest. at t=0 car A begins to accelerate at a constant rate Aa, which continues for a a time Ta Until it reaches a speed Va, after which time it continues traveling at the constant speed Va. At the moment Car A reaches its cruising speed Va, car B takes off after Car A, accelerating at a constant rate Ab. at T=t* car B passes Car A.

C.) Determine the amount of time, (Delta)t, elapsed from the moment car B begins to accelerate to the moment it passes car A. What is the velocity of car B at the moment it passes car A? Note: You may use dimensional analysis to check your answers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    On a single graph i drew a Position Time Graph ... and Also i sketched a Speed-Time Graph... Me and my Roommates Have attempted to solve this problem for many hours... What can i do with the Graphs?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    On my Speed-Time Graph... the constant acceleration and constant speed of Car A will be the same distance as the constant acceleration of Car B.
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    lol anyone??
  5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    Look up my thread.... don't tell me...

Anyway, they want you to express it algebraically. The problem is quite simple; at Ta, car A covered 1/2Aa*Ta^2. This said, you have

1/2Aa*Ta^2 + Va*delta T = 1/2Ab*delta T^2.

It's simply a question of isolation delta T here.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    Yes this was my formula as well.. but 1 question how come you don't use delta T for this first part of the equation ?

is it because in the beginning ....Ta-T0...is just Ta..? ..... Ahhh I get it ...If thats right..
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    Werg can u help me with the 2nd part of the problem
  8. Sep 23, 2007 #7
    So know that i got ... (delta)t= Aa*Ta^2/Ab ...
    To find the velocity when Car b passes Car A.... i used the equation ....
    X(final)-X(initial)=((Vxi+Vxf)/2) * t
    Xf-0= ((0+Vxf)/2) *t
    Xf= Vxf/2 *t
    2Xf=Vxf *t
    2Xf/t = VxF

so i just sub My delta T in this equation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?