Car Colision and speed question

• Thread starter Ckoskie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, the question is asking for the speed of a car just before colliding with a stopped SUV, given the masses of the two cars, the coefficient of friction between rubber and pavement, and the distance they slide after the collision. By using the equations for distance and speed as a function of time, and applying conservation of momentum, the speed of the car just before the collision can be calculated.
Ckoskie
Okay here is my question I have spent 6 hours on it and I can't get the answer. the Question is:
a 920kg car is driving down the road and hits a 2300kg SUV stopped at a red light. The two cars lock together and their break lock. they then slide forward 2.8m. A police officer know that the coeficient of friction between rubber and pavement is 0.8. Whith this he can figure out the speed at which the car was going when it hit the SUV. Find the speed of the car just before the collision.

I really hope someone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ckoskie said:
Okay here is my question I have spent 6 hours on it and I can't get the answer. the Question is:
a 920kg car is driving down the road and hits a 2300kg SUV stopped at a red light. The two cars lock together and their break lock. they then slide forward 2.8m. A police officer know that the coeficient of friction between rubber and pavement is 0.8. Whith this he can figure out the speed at which the car was going when it hit the SUV. Find the speed of the car just before the collision.
I really hope someone can help me.
You are given the the masses of the cars and so can find the weight of the two cars together. That, multiplied by the coefficient of friction gives the force slowing the two cars and so the deceleration. Write the equations for the distance and speed as a function of time (which will depend on the speed of the two cars together just after the collision). Since you know the distance they moved (2.8 m) and their final speed (0 m/s) you can find their speed immediately after the collision. Use conservation of momentum to find the speed of the moving car just before the collision.

wat equation would i use to find out the decceleration?

Think

You use the total normal force to find the friction force, then you find the acceleration and finally find the v0 velocity...

my first post!

You should draw out the force components, use rectilinear motion equations to find v_f of stationary object, and then solve for v_i of the car that caused the collision.

For Bodies in Equilibrium The sum of the Forces is zero, viz. Newton's 1st law of motion: sum of unbalanced external forces contribute to motion of the object.

S := Summation

S ( F_x = 0 )

Horizontal forces are:
1.) Friction; F_f against motion (just throwing this bit in: Friction is always parallel to the contacting surfaces (perpendicular to the normal force) and always acts in the direction opposing motion.)

2.) F (time derivative of momentum), which is the unbalanced force, is directed along the plane of motion.

Time-independant equation for plane motion or rectilinear motion.
v^2 = v_o^2 + 2*a*(s - s_o) :: s and s_o are final and initial positions of the object.

Lastly use Conservation of Momentum: S (m_i * v_i) = S (m_i' * v_i')
[which is always true]

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between car collision and speed?

The relationship between car collision and speed is that the higher the speed at which a car is traveling, the greater the force of impact during a collision. This is because the kinetic energy of the moving car is converted into destructive force upon impact.

2. How does speed affect the severity of a car collision?

The speed at which a car is traveling greatly affects the severity of a car collision. As speed increases, so does the force of impact, resulting in more damage to the vehicles involved and an increased risk of injury or death to the passengers.

3. Can a car collision occur at low speeds?

Yes, a car collision can occur at any speed, even at low speeds. However, the force of impact and resulting damage will likely be less severe compared to a collision at higher speeds.

4. What are some factors that can influence the speed of a car during a collision?

The speed of a car during a collision can be influenced by factors such as road conditions, weather, driver reaction time, and the weight and size of the vehicle. Additionally, external factors such as distractions, impairment, and mechanical issues can also impact the speed of a car during a collision.

5. How can we reduce the impact of speed on car collisions?

In order to reduce the impact of speed on car collisions, it is important to follow traffic laws and speed limits, maintain a safe distance from other vehicles, and avoid distractions while driving. Additionally, proper maintenance of vehicles and regular driver education can also help reduce the likelihood and severity of car collisions caused by speed.