Calculating Car Collision Distance: A Kinematic Approach

In summary, the car starts at rest and accelerates to 7.5 m/s/s and the truck travels at a constant speed of 130 km/h. They are 500m apart and will collide at a distance of 220m from the car's starting position. The relevant equations are the kinematic equations, specifically setting the distance traveled by the car and truck equal to each other and solving for time.
canucklekid
A car starts at rest and accelerates to 7.5 m/s/s towards a 18 wheeler truck headed towards the car at a constant speed of 130 km/h. if they are 500m apart how far from the cars starting position will they collide

im really just having problems solving this i always seem to screw it up i finished all other questions with ease just not this one i feel i am probably making a stupid mistake somewhere in my calculations

btw if there has been a thread similar to this one could you please post a link i did a brief search but didnt come up with anything similar

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

Hmm, is there no value for the acceleration of the car? Or is the car traveling at 7,5 m/s at the starting point?

Anden said:
Hmm, is there no value for the acceleration of the car? Or is the car traveling at 7,5 m/s at the starting point?
The car's acceleration is given (somewhat unclearly) as 7.5 m/sec2.
canucklekid said:
A car starts at rest and accelerates to 7.5 m/s/s

btw my buddy (older friend in university engineering) says the answer is 220m

the way the question is written to me it sounds like its stopped and instantly is magically able to accelerate to 7.5m/s/s

Mark44 said:
The car's acceleration is given (somewhat unclearly) as 7.5 m/sec2.

You're right, missed that. :)

What you have to do is try to express the distance traveled by the two vehicles.

canucklekid said:
btw my buddy (older friend in university engineering) says the answer is 220m

Your buddy is right, but how do you get there?

i don't know how he solved it but i want to know if anyone knows please speak up I am trying to find out but he's out right now will let you know if i find out but let's try to solve it in the mean time

It would really help you and us if you followed the template for homework help. What are the relevant equations? Hint: There are four and they are collectively called the kinematic equations. Which of these equations is the most likely candidate to help you set up the problem?

Ok, set the distance traveled by the car to d1 and distance traveled by the truck to d2.
d1 + d2 = 500, the time traveled by both vehicles is the same. So if you can express the distance traveled with respect to time for both vehicles and then put those two equations together and solve for time, you get the answer.

yes sorry i thought it was relitivley obvious that the kinematic equations would be used in this thanks for all the help guys

What are the main causes of car collisions?

Some of the main causes of car collisions include distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, reckless driving, and poor road conditions. Other factors such as weather conditions, vehicle malfunctions, and driver fatigue can also contribute to car collisions.

What should I do if I get into a car collision?

If you get into a car collision, the first thing you should do is make sure you and your passengers are safe. Then, call the police and report the accident. Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved, take pictures of the scene and any damages, and seek medical attention if necessary. It is also important to notify your insurance company and follow their instructions.

How can I prevent car collisions?

To prevent car collisions, it is important to follow traffic laws and regulations, avoid distractions while driving, maintain a safe speed, and never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It is also crucial to regularly maintain your vehicle and be aware of road conditions and potential hazards.

What are the consequences of a car collision?

The consequences of a car collision can range from minor injuries and property damage to serious injuries or even death. In addition, car collisions can result in legal consequences, such as fines, license suspension, and even jail time. Insurance rates may also increase after a car collision.

Can I get compensation for a car collision?

If you were not at fault for the car collision, you may be able to receive compensation for damages and injuries from the at-fault driver's insurance company. It is important to gather evidence and consult with a lawyer to determine the best course of action for seeking compensation.