1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Collision Impulse Problem

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1343 kg car experiences an impulse of 30,000 N during a collision with a wall. If the collision takes 0.43 s, what was the velocity of the car just before the collision?

A) 22 m/s
    B) 9 m/s
    C) 51 m/s
    D) 18 m/s

2. Relevant equations

F=dp/dt
    p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tried to work backwards by doing 30,000 x .43 = dp which comes out to be 12900. Since I'm assuming the final momentum is 0, I plugged 12900 into p=mv along with 1343 and got v=9.6. I don't think 9 m/s is the answer, I'm pretty sure it's either A or D but I can't seem to come out with answer close to either. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you read the question correctly? The units for impulse are not Newtons.

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3
    30,000 N/s is what it says.

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you sure? The units for impulse are as for momentum. Could be kg m/s or, equivalently, Ns (Newton-seconds).
    You tried multiplying by the duration, giving you units of kg m (or, Ns2), neither of which relates to any physical quantity I can think of.
    Given a time, a momentum and a mass, you want a velocity. What function of the given variables will do that?

6. Apr 22, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Replace 'impulse' with force in the problem statement and you get your answer which I think is correct, the given choices notwithstanding.

7. Apr 22, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

On the other hand, leave it as impulse, with units of Newton-seconds, and you do get one of the offered answers.

8. Apr 22, 2014 #7
    I ended up getting 22 m/s by just dividing 30,000 N-s by 1343. Not completely sure why that worked but it gave me one of the two answers that I thought it could potentially be.

9. Apr 22, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good point, haruspex and OP. In which case I fell for the red herring of the 0.43 s.
    Perhaps we'll never know the real story ...

10. Apr 22, 2014 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It worked because the basic equation is impulse = force F times time t = change in momentum Δp = mass m time change in velocity Δv, or

∫Fdt = Δp = mΔv + vΔm but in this case Δm = 0.

The equation follows directly from good old F = ma = m dv/dt so just move the differentials around and integrate both sides of the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted