Answer: Car A Crash Distance: Solving System of Equations

In summary: You might want to check your math. I think you might be making it more complicated than it is. car B closes on car A at the rate of 7m/s^2 for .85 sec. how far is that?In summary, car A and car B are traveling at the same initial velocity of 31 m/s. Car A begins decelerating at a rate of 7 m/s^2 while car B continues at a constant speed for .85 seconds. After .85 seconds, car B also begins decelerating at the same rate. The initial separation between the two cars is 3.5 meters. Using the equations X(t) = (1/2)(a)t2 + VoBt + Xo
SPhy

Homework Statement

Car A is traveling at a speed of 31.0 m/s, car B is 3.5 meters behind car A traveling at the same speed. Suddenly, car A comes to a halting stop. Car B's reaction time to the stop is 0.85 seconds. Even if you assume both cars slow at the same rate, a crash will occur. Assume the magnitude of the braking acceleration is about 7.0 m/s^2 .

Determine the distance car A covers from when they apply the brakes to where they are rear ended by car B.

Text book hint: You may have to solve a system of equations.

Homework Equations

Car A: X(t) = (1/2)(a)t2 + VoAt + XoA
Car B: X(t) = (1/2)(a)t2 + VoBt + XoB

The Attempt at a Solution

Car B, during that time interval, has no acceleration. Also, I am going to assume the origin begins with car B. Therefore, car B's position function, during that time interval, simplifies to

X(t) = VoBt = (31.0)(t)

Car A then has the position function

X(t) = -3.5t2 + (31.0)t + 3.5

Setting these two functions equal to each-other yields

t = 1.0 seconds, so to find the distance car A has traveled to when they applied the brakes,

x(1) = 31 meters .

A big assumption I think I had to make was that Car B, did not have a lot of room to de-accelerate before crashing into car A.

Although I could have been totally off in my approach. In class we did a similar problem.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
A big assumption I think I had to make was that Car B, did not have a lot of room to de-accelerate before crashing into car A.
You are told how much room (= time) car B had to decelerate - don't assume.

It is best to do this sort of problem symbolically before you plug numbers in - it helps keep your reasoning clear.
It looks like you assumed the crash occurs inside the reaction time... i.e. car B does not decelerate at all. Is that correct? Check.

Simon Bridge said:
You are told how much room (= time) car B had to decelerate - don't assume.

It is best to do this sort of problem symbolically before you plug numbers in - it helps keep your reasoning clear.
It looks like you assumed the crash occurs inside the reaction time... i.e. car B does not decelerate at all. Is that correct? Check.

Understood.

Hm, let's see, if we plug .85 seconds into car A's position function, we get, about 27.3 meters of travel. On the other hand, when we plug .85 seconds into car B's position function we get roughly 26.4 meters of travel. Which means, even after all the allotted reaction time has surpassed, there exists 1 meter of distance between the two cars. Which would then mean there is indeed room for car B to deaccelerate.

My guess would be I need to re-define car B's position function.

Take a look at the initial distance between the two cars. then take a look at the deceleration rate and the reaction time.

SecretShooter said:
Take a look at the initial distance between the two cars. then take a look at the deceleration rate and the reaction time.

Is it possible for me to define the function, such that, car B's position function includes the deacceleration rate? Despite that, in the first .85 seconds, the speed is constant?

If so, perhaps I can write...

Car B

x(t) = -(1/2)(a)(t - .85)2 + Vo(t - .85) + distance traveled after .85 seconds has passed

Despite that, in the first .85 seconds, the speed is constant?

Yes.

So car A begins decelerating while car B does not. how long will they take to hit?

x(t) = -(1/2)(a)(t - .85)2 + Vo(t - .85) + distance traveled after .85 seconds has passed
... don't forget the position car B starts at.

It really helps to do it all symbolically.

i.e. Assuming car A breaks at x=0, when t=0...
##x_A(t)= ut-\frac{1}{2}at^2## ... is your equation for how the position of car A changes with time.

At ##t=0## define: ##x_0=x_A(0)-x_B(0) = 3.5\text{m}## - is the initial separation of the cars.
So ##x_B(0) = -x_0## see?

If the reaction time is ##t_r##, the equation for the position of car B is:
##x_B(t\leq t_r)=-x_0 + ut\\
x_B(t > t_r)=\; ?##

... you were quite close.

SecretShooter said:
Yes.

So car A begins decelerating while car B does not. how long will they take to hit?

Well, after .85 seconds, car B does have deceleration, and at that point, car A is still decelerating. Perhaps I can take advantage of the "reaction distance" of car B.

SPhy said:
Well, after .85 seconds, car B does have deceleration, and at that point, car A is still decelerating. Perhaps I can take advantage of the "reaction distance" of car B.

You haven't answered my question. I think when you do, the answer will be clear.

If both cars have an initial velocity of 31 m/s, and they are separated by 3.5 m, and car a begins decelerating at 7 m/s^2 how long will it take for the distance to be 0. If it's less than .85 seconds, then car B never even hits the brakes.

Last edited:
SecretShooter said:
You haven't answered my question. I think when you do, the answer will be clear.

If both cars have an initial velocity of 31 m/s, and they are separated by 3.5 m, and car a begins decelerating at 7 m/s^2 how long will it take for the distance to be 0. If it's less than .85 seconds, then car B never even hits the brakes.

Correct, but my difficulty had lied in finding that T value. Which I believe is roughly, 1.01 seconds. From that point I can plug into car A's position to find brake distance.

You might want to check your math. I think you might be making it more complicated than it is. car B closes on car A at the rate of 7m/s^2 for .85 sec. how far is that?

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of equations that are related to each other and have a common solution. They are typically solved simultaneously to determine the values of the variables in the equations.

2. How can a system of equations be used to solve for the distance of a car crash?

In the context of a car crash, a system of equations can be used to represent the motion of the two cars involved. By setting the equations equal to each other and solving for the time at which the cars collide, the distance between them at that time can be calculated.

3. What information is needed to set up a system of equations for a car crash?

To set up a system of equations for a car crash, you will need the initial positions and velocities of both cars, as well as any relevant acceleration or deceleration due to braking or other external forces.

4. Are there any assumptions made when using a system of equations to solve for a car crash?

Yes, there are a few assumptions that are typically made when using a system of equations to solve for a car crash. These include assuming that the cars are traveling in a straight line, that there are no external forces acting on the cars, and that the cars have constant velocity or acceleration.

5. Can a system of equations be used to determine the cause of a car crash?

No, a system of equations alone cannot determine the cause of a car crash. It can only be used to calculate the distance between the cars at the time of impact. Other factors such as driver error, road conditions, and vehicle malfunctions must also be considered to determine the cause of a car crash.