Why do cars get deformed in high-speed crashes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a car colliding with a 15-inch thick steel beam. The speed of the car does play a role in the outcome, as well as the strength of the steel beam. However, in most cases, the car will not bounce back due to the energy being absorbed through deformation or structural failure. It is possible for the car to penetrate the steel beam if it is moving fast enough.
Alacritous
I have a question. Let's say a car is moving at 100 miles an hour and hits a 15 inch thick steel beam, the car would most likely go flying back and get deformed (assuming the beam is being held into place somehow, like being bolted into the ground or something). Based on my understanding of Newton's 3rd law of motion (which is limited), I thought that this was because of the density and strength of the steel, and not because of the speed of the moving object. Someone in another forum said I am wrong and that if the car was moving fast enough, it would penetrate the steel (he used the world trade center as an example which seems to prove me wrong). Could someone explain this to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if it were moving fast enough, it would knock the pole over. It does depend on the car's momentum (product of speed and mass) and the steel beam's strength. The faster the collision, the more BOTH objects will be deformed.

EDIT: However, a 15-inch thick steel beam would probably just cut the car in half.

Also, since most of the energy is absorbed through plastic deformation or structural failure, cars in accidents don't tend to bounce back very far.

1. What causes a car to deform during a crash?

During a car crash, the kinetic energy of the car is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound. This energy is also transferred to the car's structure, causing it to deform. The force of the impact and the design of the car's structure are the main factors that determine the extent of deformation.

2. How does the speed of a car affect the deformation during a crash?

The higher the speed of a car, the greater the amount of kinetic energy it possesses. This means that a car traveling at a higher speed will have a more severe impact and will therefore deform more during a crash. This is why it is important to drive at safe speeds and follow speed limits.

3. What role does the car's design play in its deformation during a crash?

The design of a car's structure and safety features, such as airbags and crumple zones, can greatly impact its deformation during a crash. A well-designed car will be able to distribute the force of impact and absorb energy, minimizing the amount of deformation and protecting the occupants inside.

4. Can a car be repaired after significant deformation from a crash?

In most cases, a car can be repaired after a crash that has caused significant deformation. However, this depends on the extent of the damage and the cost of repairs. In some cases, the cost of repairs may be more than the value of the car, and it may be deemed a total loss.

5. How does the type of collision (front, side, rear) affect the deformation of a car?

The type of collision can greatly affect the deformation of a car. Frontal collisions tend to cause the most damage and deformation, as the front of the car is designed to absorb impact. Side collisions can also cause significant deformation, depending on the location and force of impact. Rear collisions may cause less deformation, but can still result in significant damage to the car's structure.