Calculate Force of Car Crash: Bill's Story

In summary, the person asking for help has a brain injury from a motor accident and needs to find out the forces involved in the crash. They are specifically interested in the force of 83 water bottles hitting the steel bulkhead behind the driver's seat, as well as the overall forces involved in the crash. They are looking for assistance in calculating these forces and providing evidence for a tribunal.
William SP11
Hi I am here asking for some help. I simply struggle with maths due to ahead injury sustained in a motor accident. I am trying to find out the forces that I suffered in the crash. I know from software forums people do not like doing other peoples homework, instead the goal is to help others learn how to do it. In this case I am asking if anyone can help work the figures for me?
If anyone can here is the problem.

I was traveling in a van and believe the speed was at least 30mph I hit a traffic light post that was so strong it hardly moved, it was the thicker type poles these use. The van caved in at the front about a foot but no airbag activated. The airbag was later found to be faulty. The van was a large Iveco it was the largest you can drive on Full UK car licence. In the back was 2 large steel crates of bottled water with 40 bottles in each crate holding 19 litres of water in each bottle. There were 3 extra bottles loose inside the back of the van. The crates were not strapped down but just sat on the plywood floor.

It is the force of these crates slamming into the vehicle bulkhead behind the drivers seat that I am most interested in along with the forces I suffered with the van stopping suddenly into the traffic light. The bulkhead was made of steel but it was not that thick. I need to know within reason how hard those crates hit the bulkhead and with what force.

So van traveling at 30mph
Stopped suddenly - guestimate is 0.2 seconds impact time
Crush of the van on impact less than 1 foot
83 Water Bottles plus the weight of the crates, I will guess a total 60 pounds which is probably less.
I weighed around 13 stone and was restrained in the crash by a seatbelt.

The van stopped, the water crates smashed into the steel bulkhead behind me which held but the drivers seat was up against it and it jolted me forward. The seatbelt held. I suffered neck and back injuries but also a brain injury and I need to show the figures to prove this in a forthcoming tribunal.

It is the forces that would cause my brain to move forward in the skull that I am ultimately looking for.

As far as maths goes I can add up, take away and do some other stuff but these calculations are way above me so anyone that could help me would be much appreciated. Thanks Bill

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ask an expert. We cannot help with accident reconstructions here, (a) because you would have to investigate the actual damage and (b) there is no way to use "someone on the internet said so" as reference anywhere.

1. How is the force of a car crash calculated?

The force of a car crash can be calculated by using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the car in kilograms, and a is the acceleration of the car in meters per second squared.

2. What information is needed to calculate the force of a car crash?

To calculate the force of a car crash, you will need to know the mass of the car and the acceleration at the time of impact. This information can be obtained from the car's weight and speed, as well as any data collected from the car's sensors or other measuring devices.

3. How does the force of a car crash affect the passengers inside the car?

The force of a car crash can greatly impact the passengers inside the car. The force can cause injuries to the head, neck, and spine, as well as other body parts. It can also lead to internal organ damage and even death.

4. Can the force of a car crash be reduced?

There are various safety measures that can be taken to reduce the force of a car crash, such as wearing a seatbelt, having airbags in the car, and ensuring that the car is in good working condition. However, the force of a car crash cannot be completely eliminated.

5. How can the force of a car crash be used to improve car safety?

By understanding how the force of a car crash is calculated and how it affects passengers, car manufacturers can use this information to design and improve safety features in their vehicles. This can include implementing stronger materials, better airbag systems, and advanced technology to reduce the force of impact during a car crash.