1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Crash Problem

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are two cars and the situation is located at a crossroad. car 1 is travelling south and car 2 is travelling east. For some strange reason car 2 has slammed the brakes and stopped right in the middle of the intersection, causing car 1 to 't-bone' crash into car 2. the mass of the cars are given:

mass(car1) = 1875 kg
    mass(car2) = 1051 kg

the distance of car1's skid marks are = 16m

The speed limit on the crossroad is 50 km/h, the question of this problem is, was the driver of car1 speeding?

2. Relevant equations

s = ut + 1/2at^2
    F(friction) = [tex]\mu[/tex]mg
    f=ma
    P=mv ?

3. The attempt at a solution

i think what the question is asking for is 'u', the speed car 1 was doing before he applied the brakes.
    Therefore i used s = ut + 1/2at^2
    however i am not given acceleration or time, 's' is the displacement of when car1 applied the brakes to when he hit car2, therefore 's' is the distance of the skidmarks ( assuming the car make skidmarks as soon as the driver applied the brakes :P) s = 16m

Using the Friction equation, F(friction) = [tex]\mu[/tex]mg i found the acceleration

F = [tex]\mu[/tex]mg
    ma = [tex]\mu[/tex]mg
    a = [tex]\mu[/tex]g
    a = 0.8 x 9.8
    = 7.84 m s-2

so all i need to do now is find the time of the braking , but i have tried everything and i cannot find anyway of doing it......i feel like im at a dead end, what should i do?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi calcite! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: use the ordinary collision equations, and then use work-energy (force x distance = energy lost). :smile:

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    Go to QUT much?

5. Aug 18, 2008 #4
    are you saying to use conservation of momentum???

its inelastic so....

mass(1) x velocity (1) + mass(2) x velocity(2) = (mass(1) + mass(2)) velocity (f)

i don't understand what we use for the velocities.......

6. Aug 18, 2008 #5
    lol yes, who are you?

7. Aug 18, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi calcite! :smile:

(I'm assuming car 1 and car 2 have the same velocities after the collision:)

You know the friction force and the distance, so you can work out the energy of the cars, and from that you get the velocities v1f = v2f immediately after the collision.

And you know v2i = 0.

So your mometum equation gives you v1i. :smile:

8. Aug 18, 2008 #7
    Haha, it's a secret :)
    I'm here trying to find a means for one of those quiz questions, but I couldn't help but click on your "Car Crash" topic.

9. Jun 26, 2010 #8
    Can you be of any help, I need a simple (if that is possible) equation to help me determine the weight increase of a 12 stone occupant of a car doing 30mph coming to a dead stop?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?