Checking Distance Travelled by Car: Is 3.2 km Right?

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the accuracy of measuring the distance travelled by car depends on factors such as the precision of the measuring instrument, road conditions, and consistency of speed. External factors such as traffic and road conditions can affect the distance travelled. Whether 3.2 km is a reasonable distance for a car to travel depends on the context. The most accurate way to measure distance is with a GPS device or odometer, but it can also be measured using a map. However, using a GPS or odometer is recommended for more precise results.
brad sue
I would like to check something.
A car leaves a city along a straight road and accelerates uniformly for 1.6 min until it reaches a speed of 120km/h. It then deccelerates uniformly until it comes to rest again after 1.6min
what is the distance traveled by the car?

I used the equ. x-xo=.5*a*t2+vo*t
before I found the acceleration..
I found 3.2 km

Is that right?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Right-O. :approve:

for reaching out. Based on the information provided, I can confirm that your calculation of 3.2 km for the distance traveled by the car is correct. However, it would be helpful to provide more context and details about the experiment or scenario in order to fully assess the accuracy of this calculation. Additionally, it would be important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the equation. Overall, your approach using the equation x-xo=.5*a*t2+vo*t is sound and can be used to accurately calculate the distance traveled by the car in this scenario.

1. How accurate is the method for checking the distance travelled by car?

The accuracy of the method depends on various factors such as the precision of the measuring instrument used, the terrain and conditions of the road, and the consistency of the car's speed. It is recommended to use a GPS device or a car's odometer for more accurate results.

2. Can the distance travelled by car be affected by external factors?

Yes, the distance travelled by car can be affected by external factors such as traffic, detours, and road conditions. These factors can cause the car to travel a longer or shorter distance than expected.

3. Is 3.2 km a reasonable distance for a car to travel?

It depends on the context and purpose of the car's travel. For short trips within a city, 3.2 km is a reasonable distance. However, for longer trips or highway driving, 3.2 km may not be a significant distance.

4. How can I accurately measure the distance travelled by car?

The most accurate way to measure the distance travelled by car is to use a GPS device or the car's odometer. These devices use satellite technology to calculate the distance travelled.

5. Can the distance travelled by car be calculated without using any devices?

Technically, yes. You can use a map and measure the distance between two points to calculate the distance travelled by car. However, this method may not be as accurate as using a GPS device or odometer, and it is more time-consuming.