1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car drive S units in T time ,prove that there is a point where acceleration > 4S/T^2

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car start to drive from point A to point B in a straight line ,
    The distance from A to B is S, the time the car drove is T
    Prove that there is a point in the drive where the acceleration of the car does not lower in absolute value from [tex]\frac{4S}{T^{2}}[/tex]

the car start the drive from speed 0 and end the drive in speed 0
    I know this is physic related question but I have in in calculus 2

2. Relevant equations
    I almost sure you have to solve the question with taylor polynomial

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I try built taylor polynomial when f(x) is the speed around x0 = when the speed reach S/T that is the average speed , the speed must reach the average speed

f(X) = f(x0) + f'(c)(x-x0)
    f(x) = S/T +f'(c)(x-x0)

Now I do this for x=0 and for x=T and I can get that if the x0 in [0,T/4] or in [3T/4,T] f'(c) that is the acceleration is above [tex]\frac{4S}{T^{2}}[/tex]

When I try to build the polynomial when f(x) is the location and again around x0 = the time the car speed reach S/T, It does not seem to add up, Because I don't really know what value to give to f(x0)...
    Thank you for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2
    Re: car drive S units in T time ,prove that there is a point where acceleration > 4S/

Well... Vadim is your teacher?

Do it this way:
    x(t)= x(0)+v(0)*t + a(c1)*t^2/2 when 0<c1<t...
    So we'll get: x(t)=a(c1)/2 * t^2
    If t=T/2 -> x(T/2) =a(c1)*T^2 /8....

Around T we'll get:
    x(t) = S + a(c2)/2 * (t-T)^2 .... Put T/2 as t... Put both things you've got in equality and you're done :)

4. Dec 22, 2009 #3
    Re: car drive S units in T time ,prove that there is a point where acceleration > 4S/

Isn't the internet small
    Thank you very much..
    This was my very first try, But I thought , Ha c1 isn't c2 each one has a diffrent area and I got confused and stooped going this way.
    Thanks.

5. Dec 22, 2009 #4

The whole world is a small place to live in :)

Anyway, which other courses you took this semester?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook