1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car drives down a ramp

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    A car drives down a ramp onto the back of a moving lorry. Both are moving at high speed, the car slightly faster than the lorry.

The car has mass 1250 kg and is moving at a speed of 28.0 m s–1. The lorry has mass 3500 kg and a speed of 25.5 m s–1. The length of the flat back of the lorry allows a braking distance of 5.0 m.

By considering both momentum and energy show that the stunt is possible, provided a minimum force of about 600 N slows the car down. You should support your explanations with calculations.

Treat the situation as one in which two objects join together

I manage to get the answer of 576 N using the method told to use.

However, I wanted to know, why doesn’t the answer work out if I do:

1. find velocity using conservation of linear momentum (as would in the normal procedure)
    2. use constant acc equations to find the deceleration
    3. then do F=ma?

This would give Acc = -9.73 and F = 12kN?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Good question... I don't believe conservation of momentum really applies here, as the two objects aren't crashing into each other. But I might just be crazy. Now for my question: What the heck is a lorry?
  4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    Yeah it doesn't, thats what i thought as well, but the questions states it.

Its british for a truck lol...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook