How can I calculate the distance a car will travel after driving off a cliff?

• Thread starter antphany
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: The problem is that the height of the cliff is not a relevant variable. The airborne time of the car is at best irrelevant and at worst intentionally confusing.
antphany

Homework Statement

A 500kg car drives off a cliff at 50km/h how far would it land from the base of the cliff if it was in the air for 10 seconds

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=mg
d=1/d at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i first did f=mg to find f
then i did f=ma converted that to find a
then did 1/2 at^2 converted that 2
d x 0.5 / 9.8 then i root it to find t
but i got the wrong answer, the answer is 9 seconds can some one tell me what i did wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think the the height of the cliff is a relevant variable, and that the 10 sec. airborne time of the car is at best irrelevant and at worst intentionally confusing. For sake of argument, if the car went off say, a 10,000 foot sheer drop it would spend more than ten seconds in the air...if the "cliff" was little more than an embankment then the car would probably spend less then 10 seconds in the air...both scenarios would render the question moot. The real question that should be asked, the way I see it is like this, "If a 500kg car goes of a cliff at 50 km and is airborne for ten seconds THEN how high was the cliff it went off?"

I am a layman, a noob, but physics enthusiast...but that's how I see it.

antphany said:
but i got the wrong answer, the answer is 9 seconds can some one tell me what i did wrong
How can 'the answer' be 9 seconds? You were told that it was in the air for 10 seconds.

What you are asked to find is how far from the cliff it landed.

assuming no loss for friction

horizontal velocity = 50km/h

time = 10 secs

distance = vel*time

antphany said:
i first did f=mg to find f
then i did f=ma converted that to find a
This step is a waste of time, unless you are going to factor in an air resistance force. g describes the accerleration, so there is no need to turn it into a force and back again.

1. What is the cause of a car driving off the road?

The cause of a car driving off the road can vary, but some common reasons include distracted driving, mechanical failures, and poor road conditions.

2. How can we prevent cars from driving off the road?

There are several measures that can be taken to prevent cars from driving off the road, such as implementing stricter laws and penalties for distracted driving, regular maintenance of vehicles, and improving road infrastructure.

3. What are the most common injuries from a car driving off the road?

The most common injuries from a car driving off the road include whiplash, head injuries, broken bones, and internal injuries. However, the severity of injuries can vary depending on the speed and impact of the car.

4. How do car safety features help in preventing cars from driving off the road?

Car safety features such as stability control, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking can help prevent cars from driving off the road by alerting the driver and automatically correcting the vehicle's trajectory if necessary.

5. What should I do if I witness a car driving off the road?

If you witness a car driving off the road, the first thing to do is to call emergency services. If possible, safely pull over and offer assistance to the driver and any passengers. It is also important to provide accurate information to emergency responders and stay at the scene until they arrive.