Solve Car Dynamics Problem: Minimum Distance to Avoid Collision

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum starting distance between two cars, A and B, to avoid a collision. Both cars are traveling at 60ft/s when the driver of B suddenly applies the brakes, causing a deceleration of 12ft/s^2. It takes the driver of car A 0.75 seconds to react and he decelerates at 15ft/s^2. By setting up kinematic equations for distance and velocity, it can be determined that the minimum distance d is 5ft for car B and 4.75ft for car A.
s4orce
1. Car B is traveling a distance d ahead of car A. Both cars are traveling at 60ft/s when the driver of B suddenly applies the brakes, causing his car to decelerate at 12ft/s^2. It takes the driver of car A 0.75 to react. When he applies his brakes he decelerates at 15ft/s^2. Determine the minimum distance d between the cars so as to avoid a collision.

Diagram
2. ______CAR A_(<----d---->_CAR B__________

Physics news on Phys.org
s4orce, please show your work. We cannot help you until you do so!

i don't know how to post it on here

Well, what equations do you know? Do you have any that will relate to this problem? If so, post them, along with your ideas for attacking the problem.

To determine how long it will take you to stop assuming a constant rate of deceleration, you need only divide your starting velocity ft/s by your rate of deceleration.

60/12 = 5 for car B

60/15 = 4 + 0.75 seconds to react = 4.75 seconds to stop

Can anyone help me?

Moved to Intro Physics forum.

s4orce, the problem asks you for the minimum starting separation between the two cars to avoid a collision. What is the kinematic equation for distance versus time, in terms of initial distance, initial velocity and acceleration? What is the kinematic equation for the velocity as a function of initial velocity and acceleration. Set up these equations for the two cars assuming some initial separation distance, and then figure out what you need to calculate to answer the initial question.

can someone please help me

s4orce said:
can someone please help me

I did help you. Set up the equations that I mentioned, and that will either give you the answer outright, or if you have some math problems with them, we will be able to help you better by seeing where you are stumbling. We do not do your work for you here on the PF.

1. What is a car dynamics problem?

A car dynamics problem refers to any issue or challenge that affects the movement, handling, or performance of a vehicle. This can include issues with steering, braking, suspension, or acceleration.

2. What factors affect car dynamics?

There are several factors that can affect car dynamics, including weight distribution, tire grip, suspension design, and aerodynamics. The design and condition of these components can greatly impact a car's handling and performance.

3. How can I improve my car's dynamics?

Improving a car's dynamics often involves making adjustments or upgrades to its suspension, tires, and aerodynamics. These changes can include installing stiffer springs, upgrading to performance tires, or adding a spoiler or diffuser for better aerodynamics.

4. How do car dynamics affect safety?

Car dynamics play a crucial role in a vehicle's safety. Poor handling or braking can increase the risk of accidents, and a car with unstable dynamics may be more difficult to control in emergency situations. Regular maintenance and proper upgrades can help improve a car's safety and overall performance.

5. Can weather conditions affect car dynamics?

Yes, weather conditions can greatly impact a car's dynamics. Rain, snow, and ice can decrease tire grip and make the roads more slippery, affecting a car's acceleration, braking, and handling. It is important for drivers to adjust their driving style according to the weather conditions to maintain control of their vehicle.