1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Electricity

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    Hello, I have generally questions here, so I hope, that you will help me

1. How can a moving car become positively charged?
    2. If I touch the door of a charged car, sometimes I get something like a shock. Why does it happen?

I would appreciate it, if you will answer me.
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here's a good long explanation of the effect with respect to your clothes and your car seat:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A6378744

There can also be a mechnism with an object moving through the air causing a buildup of static charge, but I think that effect only comes into play with much faster movement than a car through the air (like with helicopter rotor blades, where static buildup is a very serious problem).

4. Sep 2, 2014 #3

Drakkith

There's also the possibility that it's your body that's charged and not the car.

5. Sep 3, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

I believe tyre manufacturers add carbon powder to their rubber compound to make it conductive so that any static charge soon leaks away to earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook