Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Emissions Question

1. Jan 15, 2015 #1
    Can anyone help me out and tell me what the average amount of ppm of NOx is in car exhaust with a catalytic converter? I found .4 grams per mile and cant seem to find any kind of conversion, but im trying to compare it to another ppm measurement so it needs to be in ppm.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's fuel consumption/efficiency? How much air to combust that much fuel?

4. Jan 15, 2015 #3
    lets say its a 30 mpg car with an air consumption of .2 kg/min

5. Jan 15, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's how many gallons to drive a mile? And how much air to burn it? I'm not going to do the arithmetic for you --- I'll talk you through the layout.

6. Jan 15, 2015 #5
    so at 30 mpg, itd be .033 gallons per mile. how could i find how much air it takes to burn it?

7. Jan 15, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's the mass of 0.033 gallons? Figure what --- CH1.5 for a stoichiometry, around 36 g/mol for the fuel. How much oxygen do you need to turn that into carbon dioxide plus water? How much air to furnish that much oxygen? What's the mass of that much air? What's the sum of the masses of fuel and air?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook